January 10th, 2014

The Gambia: How one teenager stood up to child marriages

In The Gambia, child marriages help alleviate poverty for many families. But Ramatoulie Jallow, a straight-A student with ambitions to be a doctor, wanted a different destiny and stood up to her father. Now she is an activist for children's rights, fighting to replace a culture of silence and early marriage for girls with education and the confidence to speak out.

Topics: In The News • Life In Slavery • Solutions • Voices

1. Deirdre Emm

What an amazing kid. Super-intelligent, well-spoken, hard-working, and determined. God bless her! And God bless her efforts to improve the lives of those around her. She seems totally selfless. I hope all her dreams come true.

January 10, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Reply
    • Jadestar

"Honor thy father and thy mother." She was a bad daughter, and was selfish and individualistic to pursue some career promoted to Third World women by UNICEF, the Elders, the CFR, and the rest of the globalist population controllers. There is no woman's career as honorable as being a mother. She should have ignored the foreign propaganda and been proud to achieve a marriage at such a young age.

All child marriages are blessed by God! Globalists only attack child marriage as a means of attacking the family by spreading the feminist cancer around the globe.

Child marriage is honorable, holy, and should be legal: not only in Africa and Asia, but in Europe and the United States.

February 2, 2014 at 2:56 am | Reply
      • Emmanuel

May God forgive you, for propergating evil

February 17, 2014 at 12:02 am |
      • zena

yes Marriage is a blessing for an adult, one who can take responsibility for a family.. but then again based on your answer i doubt if you know that, and i am also guessing that you have no idea the struggle girls who are only children themselves go about taking care of a husband and children when they themselves still need to be taken care of by their own parents. the amount of girls that die during child birth because their bodies are still young to go through such, or the amount of physical and emotional abuses they face during this 'blessed' marriages. please do a little more research and be sensitive towards other peoples' pain.

February 27, 2014 at 6:00 pm |
  2. Ronke Aiyeola

When I watched it I had tears in my eyes but then I said in my heart "thank God for CNN freedom Project and the many NGOs supporting that this is stopped in countries around the world. Children have the right to live and be educated.

January 10, 2014 at 1:43 pm | Reply
  3. Bongjoh Albert Chongwain

When i watched that programme of the girl in the Gambia,how she stood up to her parents against marriage and her ambitions to further her studies and one day become a doctor,tears of joy ran down my chick.As an activist of THE BECAUSE I AM A GIRL PROJECT in My native cameroon where we have if not successfully eradicated early marriages but we have reduced the rate of early marriages in my community.I want to personally thank CNN for taking the pains to go behind the scene to expose the ills of this world to the world population.Due the CNN‘S FREEDOM PROJECT PROJECT MANY LIVES HAVE BEEN CHANGED!!!! May you continue to save many LIVES

January 10, 2014 at 10:49 pm | Reply
  4. Gerald Kithinji

SLAVERY IN MAURITANIA
    Mauritania O Mauritania
    I work for the emir in Mauritania
    My father worked for the emir in Mauritania
    My grandfather worked for the emir in Mauritania
    My great grandfather worked for the emir in Mauritania
    My great great grandfather worked for the emir in Mauritania
    But I don’t want to work for the emir in Mauritania
    My father did not want to work for him either
    My grandfather was loath to work for him
    My great grandfather was forced too
    My great great grandfather had to
    They were all forced to labour
    For the Emir of Mauritania
    Mauritania, Mauritania
    Why slave away
    In Mauritania
    Oh why?
    Why?
    Tell me poets of Mauritania
    Tell me all poets of Africa
    Tell me poets of the world
    Tell me why the children
    Of Mauritania have
    To live their lives
    In a time warp
    Dressed as
    A cast
    Sys
    Te
    M
    ?

January 11, 2014 at 5:02 pm | Reply
  5. edi

how can someone help her directly?, whats her village name?

January 11, 2014 at 9:17 pm | Reply
  6. Alto

I am so proud to be a Gambian. We night have our own Hilary Clinton or Ellen Johnson Sirleaf in such a brilliant and brave girl and many more in the Gambia. As Gambians, this is one way to help develop we nation..
    Alto

January 13, 2014 at 12:33 am | Reply
  7. Cecilia

She stood up for her own rights... and now she does it for the rights of others... She is a bright star in many girls´ future ;)

January 13, 2014 at 8:47 pm | Reply
  8. Utibe-abasi Umoren Jr.

I love her spirit cos she see early marriage as slave and she is brave to be out spoken. May God help her to bring an end to early marriage in her country and even to other countries.

January 24, 2014 at 12:36 am | Reply
  9. Jadestar

She's not brave, she's a globalist pawn who chickened out of her ordained vocation. The brave girls for whom I have respect are the ones who go through with their marriages even when they are afraid (thanks to UN scaremongering in large part).

All child marriages are blessed by God! The Jewish media is only against them as a Trojan horse to eventually attack all marriages.

February 2, 2014 at 2:59 am | Reply
    • Paula

Wow...Jadestar, it is sicko's like you that keep this alive..You are an idiot.

February 5, 2014 at 4:03 pm | Reply
    • Dorte

Dear Jadestar. I have been in The Gambia many times, we have an "adopted" Family – Mum and three adult kids, wee support with Money and careing emails. A lonely woman in Africa is like a totaly lost person! That is to bad!!!
      African men (most of them) are lazy, not doing anything at all! African womens are working all the time, and the men get the profit of their Work.
      I say – thank you very much! Here in Denmark, my payment for my Work is my one... We, my husbond and I, are sharing our economic!!!
      Kind regards from Dorte
      PS,: I wish you all luck , whith your studies, good Health, and a happy life! – Take good care of yuor self!

May 25, 2014 at 5:40 pm | Reply
  10. Agbogu tessy chineze

She's a lovely child, destined for greatness

February 16, 2014 at 8:56 am | Reply
  11. Emmanuel

so brilliant and sharp, thank God for such NGOs commited to this cause, I really want to contribute to her education, we might just be talking about another mitcheal obama, condeliza rice,selena johnson, or okonjo iwela of the world bank. pls support this cause

February 17, 2014 at 12:06 am | Reply