June 20th, 2012

Swedish queen battles child sex exploitation

Most royals don't speak openly about subjects like sex-trafficking, much less child sex-trafficking, but for Her Majesty Queen Silvia of Sweden it’s a cause that needs shouting from the rooftops.

The global problem of child exploitation has long been her passion.

The mother of three set up the World Childhood Foundation 13 years ago, which has since given nearly $70 million dollars to more than 600 projects fighting child abuse and sexual exploitation in 16 countries.

Financial grants range from a few thousand to as much as a million dollars – a big deal for anti-trafficking groups on the front-lines in the fight against modern slavery.

CNN had a rare opportunity to sit down with Queen Silvia and learn more about her mission.

Post by:
Topics: How to Help • Uncategorized

1. Mohammad Abul Hosein

Great expectation. Salute to Saliva. We should have such person in the global society. Thanks.
    MOHAMMAD ABUL HOSEIN
    ASISTANT EDITOR
    THE DAILY MANABZAMIN
    DHAKA, BANGLADESH

June 20, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Reply
    • Paolo

What's with the signature block? Who cares what you do?

June 22, 2012 at 8:17 am | Reply
      • Porto Vino

It is customary in Bangladeshi culture to identify the commentor appropriately.

June 22, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
      • samonrusty

Sylvia has been spelt 'saliva' by the Assistant Editor How would you rate.his 'editing' abilities ?

June 25, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
      • Segirl

samonrusty, You also misspelled the queen's name.
        Fail.

August 6, 2012 at 12:00 am |
    • k9zgirl

@samonrusty, you mean Silvia?

June 26, 2012 at 1:21 am | Reply
      • Really?

Good thing he is only an assistant editor.

August 2, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • Really?

You are only an assistant

August 2, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Reply
  2. busymomof03

Reblogged this on Busy Mom of Three and commented:
    So happy that someone with that amount of power and resources is behind such a great cause.

June 21, 2012 at 12:39 am | Reply
  3. Alf Z

Now that's a queen I can bow to. Her support to such a worthy cause, to fight for the innocent and weakest of our world society speaks volume of your heart.

Thank you my queen.

June 21, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Reply
  4. pinkbarbara

Reblogged this on Putting an End to Injustice Today and commented:
    Well done. What an inspiration. We all can do something, right where we are.

June 21, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Reply
  5. jack

The concept of a "queen" is ridiculous. When she resigns her crown as a preposterous bit of nonsense I'll pay attention to her causes.

June 21, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Reply
    • Sherian

Ever read a history book, kings and queens have been around since the beginning of time. Jealsouy is not a great trait and if a person regardless of their position in life should take on a cause that will help the innocent children of this world, regardless of who they are, then more power to them. Maybe you should do the same!

June 23, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Reply
    • Frank Martino

I bid bitter aren't we???

June 25, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Reply
    • ron

I rather admire her for her efforts - and If the Swedish people want a king & queen, isn't that their right??? Not your place to criticize them, in my humble opinion

June 30, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Reply
    • mariestad

Hi,,
      There are several misconception about Swedish Monarch. First of all they do not have any power like queen Elizabeth. The king of Sweden is not allowed to vote or be politically active. They are not wealthy at all like other queens. They live on Wellfare ( it is called Apanage in swedish). What ever they do is based on their personal ambition.

July 24, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Reply
    • Segirl

This woman is beautiful. Wonderful, wonderful work.

August 6, 2012 at 12:03 am | Reply
  6. ian

its nice to have someone like You hoping that you would also go beyond than looking for this stuff

June 21, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Reply
  7. Jim Bob

Great video ...

June 22, 2012 at 8:11 am | Reply
  8. Tom

Now there's a queen who uses her power for the good of others, and not for selfish privileges. We need more royals like her, people who try to make a difference!!

June 22, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Reply
  9. k9zgirl

Wonderful Queen!

June 26, 2012 at 1:22 am | Reply
  10. Wayne Mues

Please tell Her Majesty Queen Silvia, that she is to be commended on her battle. I would think that this very disturbing issue of child abuse has not escaped Sweden, though I find it very troubling that in the United States we are perhaps seeing the development of a new global market, the sale and exploitation of our children.
    Please also let Her Majesty know that there are numerous resources in this country which proclaim to address these types of issues. However, she should know that most all of these organizations are but call in telephone directories which provide you with the numbers to other referral services. Just to be clear, the vast majority of crisis lines are just referral agencies for all the other referral agencies. What better way to make a problem go away then to devour the drive and conviction of victims with an ineffective plethora of meaningless, useless, and inexhaustible supply of worthless referral agencies.
    Please ask yourself, not the Queen, how many different referral agencies would you call without finding someone that could help you as opposed to just providing you with another referral and telephone number to call...2…4..5…9? How long would you continue without any real assistance before you discovered on your own that the effort was futile….30min…2hours…10hours…5days?
    I know we have an unemployment problem in this country but I don’t think we should be using resources meant to fight the exploitation of children, to combat unemployment through meaningless jobs sure to create frustration and deceptively curbing the real issue through attrition.

June 27, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Reply
  11. 2012marandalaw

Reblogged this on Marinchek-Marn and commented:
    Thank You.
    I have a "War Conflict" name change.That My 10 Uncles,Set Forth,For The Protection of my Family,and the Well Being of all Americans.I live in Northeast,Ohio(USA).All of these "Dangerous Criminals",that ICTY Speak of,Are a Danger to my family,and all Innocent Civilians,Across this Universe.We have dealt with "Mafia"And KKK,Human Traffickers,Ignorance from all Countries,here in Northeast,Ohio(United States).How does this happen?How are they able to Bully their way across the Country?Lets Do Our Part America!I have always been affraid,that someone would take me away,Against my will.Like they did my Brothers..In the 1960's.They took my brothers from my Mother,From the Back of a Saloon(Bar),In Cleveland,Ohio.(USA).My Uncles were affraid,too.This should never happen.Should it?

June 29, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Reply
  12. 2012marandalaw

I was always Affraid,that "Human Traffickers",Would take me away from my Mother,Against her will.In the 1960's..They had illegal Adoptions,set up in Bars.Please tell me,how a woman under the Influence of "Liquor",Makes a Decision Of Adoption..In the Back Of a Bar,In Cleveland,Ohio?I watched this happen..When i was 5 yrs old.I promised Myself,That i would do something about this Terrible,Sad Problem.And i Am...I don't care what anyone,Thinks of me.I will not run from Ignorant Human Beings.My Uncles had our Name Changed,For The Protection and Well Being Of My Family.Being Affraid..Is not a Option,for me Now!!

June 29, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Reply
  13. 2012marandalaw

They better make another.."Country"...For them all to hide In!!

June 29, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Reply
  14. Réal Laplaine

Good on her! I live in Sweden and this country has a good stand on the issue. I just published a book, SEE ME NOT – Human Trafficking in the Raw. Sent a copy to Silvia – hope she reads it.

July 2, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Reply
  15. Rockie

Thank God their are people like her who go to the extent that she has gone to fight this horrible problem. She is an Angel. Thank you dear lady.

July 3, 2012 at 12:21 am | Reply
  16. Everett Wallace

I only know the QUEEN of Heaven.

July 5, 2012 at 6:14 am | Reply
  17. Rockzilla

Awesome Lady. Thank you for caring.

July 5, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Reply
  18. Fred

One problem is that the exploitation of women and girls are a result of the fact that society still falls for the greatest con game since history, that is that males are the superior gender. In reality, males are not even any where near equal to women. Women are by far the superior gender and as soon as males come to accept that and respect women for who they are, we will still use brute strength to force things on women. I think the fact that women are by far the superior gender should be taught in every grade school in the world so that every male will realize and will accept that women are superior to them and every girl will embrace it. Since women have been getting an equal chance, they have been surpassing males left and right. If they did this in just the last couple of decades, I wonder how far advanced will they be over us males in the next couiple of decades. It is time for all males to learn to respect women for who and what they are.

July 15, 2012 at 5:01 am | Reply
    • Kathy May

Fred, it is refreshing to find a male who is able to admit what you just did here. Most are so macho they can not see the hand writing on the wall and that women are indeed superior to the human male.

July 15, 2012 at 9:21 am | Reply
    • Roman

Sorry, I have no respect for a woman who screams she's better than man, and vice versa. I will assure you that most of the people on this planet will agree with me.

August 1, 2012 at 3:32 am | Reply
    • Roman

Furthermore, this broken concept of yours only exist in your gay and lesbian minds. Males don't compete with females and vice versa. It is against the nature. Man competes with man for a woman. Woman competes with woman for a man. Women enjoy when men compete with each other. Men enjoy victory over men.

August 1, 2012 at 3:47 am | Reply
  19. Britt

I am from Sweden, but live in the US now and I am so proud of our queen to address these issues and to make such a difference in children's lives. My hat off for her!

July 21, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Reply
  20. writerershad

Great job dear queen. We are with you. I am dedicating myself to this cause. Let us raise our voice, make it loud and reach it to all people.

July 27, 2012 at 11:25 am | Reply
  21. TJ

As the Queen of Sweden, she could probably make a huge difference by just shutting down all the catholic churches in Sweden.

July 30, 2012 at 5:43 am | Reply
  22. TS

Does the UN still offer Immunity to officers that participate in Human Trafficking?
    We must prosecute the guilty no matter how powerful they are.

August 5, 2012 at 2:51 am | Reply
  23. Mycotec

Grace be multiply to u as we fight with money an effort let include prayer,lets join the prayer community,www.yookos.com/pastorchrislive

August 6, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Reply
  24. Diogo Azevedo

Congratulations for the Queen of Sweden !!!!
    As a Brazilian citizen I am also very proud and happy once she was born in Brazil.
    What we can really observe is how she's a good person and is trying to do her part ....
    The world need more people like her ...
    Congratulations again !!!!

November 11, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Reply
  25. JASWAL Kr

Hi All,
    Its just a start there are places in Asia where people are still slaves . our humble request too all lets join in hands together for making our countries a better place to live . we our young guns of Bharat ,Putting in our effort and trying to be pearls of this vast ocean . Volunteers needed for Fateh org , if interested drop in a mail : jaskaran0209@yahoo.co.uk
    or leave txt at # +919716519084