May 27th, 2012

Girl brides abducted as fabled HIV cure

By Justine Lang and Robyn Curnow, CNN

KwaCele, South Africa (CNN) - The landscape of the rural Eastern Cape in South Africa has a haunting beauty. A myriad of round turquoise huts scatter across the land in a series of endless villages.

Yet these villages are also home to a terrible and devastating traditional practice that destroys children's lives and tears families apart.

In these villages, girls as young as 12 are kidnapped by older men and forced to 'marry.' It is accepted as part of the Xhosa people's culture. It has continued unabated for decades.

Ukuthwala, which translates as 'to pick up' or 'to take,' is used to justify the abduction of girls. In many cases the parents have given their consent in exchange for a bride price.

But a concerted campaign to educate these isolated communities of the illegality of under-aged sex and abduction appears to be paying off.

Nombasa Gxuluwe, born in the Eastern Cape, is a field worker for the World Aids Campaign (WAC), and has dedicated herself to trying to end what is essentially the buying and selling of brides, many of them still children.

Nombasa and many other organizations have spent hours talking to the men in the villages, trying to make them understand that the rules are different now.

For many, like Timothy Nyawuse, there was simply no awareness that what was being done was wrong.

"We apologize for that as we did not know we were breaking the law," he tells CNN.

Complicating the matter is a chilling, modern belief, as Nombasa explains: "There is a myth that if you sleep with a young girl who is a virgin and as a man you are HIV positive then HIV can be cured. That is why they are focusing on these young girls."

Nombasa said many of the male abductors are older men, widowed by HIV. They then look for a younger "virgin bride" and invariably end up infecting them too.

The tradition has its roots in arranged marriages where parents or village elders have the final say on who girls should marry.

And when men started taking younger and younger wives, elders in villages with no electricity of running water did not realize the modern world would see.

In the documentary, "Ukuthwala – Stolen Innocence," made by WAC, a girl living in the village of Lusikisiki in the Eastern Cape tells her story of being a victim of this practice.

"The lady from next door called me and asked me if I wanted to get married. I said no. She said if I refused they would take me by force and beat me up.

"The next night the lady came to my house and took me to the river. There were seven people waiting there. They made me go with them to the house where the man lived. I couldn't believe this was happening to me. That I was getting married.

"There was this old man in the room and he told me, "I paid cattle for you and whether you like it or not you are my wife."

"He picked me up and put me on the bed and undressed me. He also got undressed and tried to force himself on me. I fought him but he pushed me down and forced my legs open. That's when he slept with me."

For those who have the courage to escape their illegal 'marriages' there is a place of refuge. The Palmerton Care Centre is housed in the grounds of a Methodist Church, in Lusikisiki.

It is here that social workers first counsel the young girls and then help them integrate back into the community.

It is no easy journey. Many have had years out of school. Some are infected with HIV. Others are no longer wanted back by their families, accused of bringing shame on them for not staying in the marriage.

Nombasa said: "They see them as rebellious, uncontrollable, because they are not obeying the rules of the parents, of the community."

The National Prosecuting Authority in South Africa is making a concerted effort in the villages surrounding KwaCele to show that such practices are illegal. Eleven men in the past year have been charged with abduction and under-age sex. None of the cases have yet reached court.

Even more promising, Nombasa said that since December 2011 there has not been a new case reported. She said: "It looks like we are winning."

Post by: ,
Topics: In The News • Life In Slavery • Uncategorized

1. Hello

Ignorance is k1lling Africa... perhaps it is best..... they have no future anyway...

May 27, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Reply
    • Appivs

If ignorance is killing Africa its not ignorance from within her but this kind of ignorance. We, the first world, the ones with the power to create peace, the money to invest and educate the people sit by and do virtually nothing. This is what is holding back Africa. Let us not forget that some of the fastest industrializing economies in the world not so long ago found themselves in comparably blighted states.

May 28, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Reply
      • NINA

We do help them!! The Governments of Africa however are so corrupt that they do not use the money we send to educate their people or provide that aid needed. However, their goverment should also stand up and explain that these people are wrong in what they are doing, why does someone else have to hold their hand and tell them. The people complain about their treatment and yet no one does anything to stop it. They continue to allow rape and stealing of children. Everyone in the Middle East is finally starting to stand up and fight for what is right, why can't they? I am not their mother and refuse to allow "old men" who know better to claim they didn't know it was so wrong. If that's the case, it's the government of Africa that is wrong, not us!

May 29, 2012 at 5:34 am |
      • South African

NINA..read the whole article. People complained and the government sorted it out..

May 29, 2012 at 8:10 am |
      • heamye

You are wrong. We do help. The government is corrupt. They think AIDS and HIV education is political propaganda put out by the Americans. The nasty forces want to keep women ignorant and uneducated and subjected to this type abuse. It's not American's at fault here.

May 29, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
      • zena lazarus

This belief was around long before HIV. In the dark days of Syphilis it was also believed that intercourse with a virgin would cure the infection.

May 29, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
      • Daniel Rizzo

You Sir are free to help yourself, your own country and family, if you can. Otherwise your country and loved ones will simply live the way africans have lived for thousands of years, on the edge of starvation, war, poverty and famine. Good day.

May 30, 2012 at 11:01 am |
      • melvinslizard

yeah, the Western Nations are holding them back. That, and rampant rape and the frequent misuse of a machete. But, yeah, mainly the Western Nations.

June 1, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
      • Scythe

These poeple are fully capable of making thier world better as men and women as any other culture. I've been there and the 'Adults' of these countries don't care about good, but they would have to in order to make things better for themselves. It is all up to them and always has been. They made thier beds now they must sleep in them, not the rest of the world.

June 11, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
      • reddes

WHAAAA? This is a statement of ignorance mon frere. The west has been sending everyone from Tarzan to John Wayne to bring these poor people up out of the darkness, to no avail! Africans roundly reject western ways and philosophy as bad JUJU! You know it, I know it. How many more UNICEF volunteers need to end up as saturday din din before we realize that progress cannot be foisted on different cultures with the expectation that the culture will embrace the gesture. Look at Zimbabwe, the once fertile breadbasket of South Africa now a haven of racist, anti white sentiment and suffering accordingly. Why, look at the multi term popularly re-elected Marion Berry right here in the USA. I believe he is african american by birth. Who can say why the sky is blue? Why do the angels sing? How do you stop ancient tribal rape rituals? I don't know, do YOU?

June 11, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
      • jac77

The rest of the world is robbing these people of all their natural resources and leaving their lands ruined and polluted. They were much better off before the white man arrived and exploited them and Africa. Like the Indians in America the stronger races stepped on them.
        Africa has the fastest growing population. More and more people born to suffer and help destroy their continent.

November 1, 2012 at 8:47 am |
    • Brent (South African)

No future?

You sir, are ignorant.

Stop consumption, and start living unselfishly.
      Else no future for anyone

May 28, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Reply
      • reddes

consumption is a relative term, not measurable.

June 11, 2012 at 9:46 pm |
    • Brent (South African)

May 28, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Reply
    • South African

How is this breaking African news?

May 28, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Reply
      • PV

They mean broken news...its a typo!

May 29, 2012 at 4:55 am |
    • Nathan

Africa has no future? Well, it has the world's fastest growing population, and 6 of the 10 fastest growing economies on the planet, so I would say Africa, in fact, IS the future.

Africa has major cultural, political, social, and economic problems to resolve. But it is a rising force in the world, and we would do well to expand our development assistance, but more importantly, our trade and investment there. The Chinese have increased infrastructure investment in Africa by 1000% in the last 10 years. Unless we want China to be the preeminent soft-power world leader, we should step up our efforts.

May 29, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Reply
      • Matthew

fastest growing or any other rate of change statistic doesn't mean much on a small scale. If you earn a dollar a week and then earn 2 dollars a week, you've increased 100 %. Sounds great but you're still dirt poor.

May 29, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
      • Lisa

Just because they are too stupid to screw without condoms and are the fastest growing population as a result does not mean they "are the future".

May 31, 2012 at 5:19 am |
    • Mo

Some parts of Africa might be ignorant..And its also ignorant to say "They have no future anyway"......Proudly African!!!

May 30, 2012 at 11:16 am | Reply
    • karianez

What a horrible thing to say.

June 2, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Reply
      • Montathir

This design is seautpcclar! You obviously know how to keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Excellent job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

August 1, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • isabelsmaia79

i hope your ignorance don´t kill you mr hello

July 20, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Reply
    • evansusmc

Africa will always have a future. it will just involve a lot of killing and raping. It is the governments of Africa that is killing Africa. Not much we can do.

October 23, 2012 at 11:23 am | Reply
  2. standard deviation

same could be said about america.

May 27, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Reply
    • Ringo65

Don't think so. Nope.

May 27, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Reply
      • standard deviation

Having lived all over the world, Africa included, I can say: Americans, at home and abroad, have generally been the most ignorant, self indulgent, self righteous people I have ever encountered. No contest. Your country is in steep decline and you'll soon be in another war you can't afford.
        Say hello to China for me. It's been a while.

May 27, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
      • isabelsmaia79

hiv start in usa don´t you now

July 20, 2012 at 11:30 pm |
    • saoirse72

Albeit some Americans can be rude and off putting I don't think they are the worst tourist. It just sounds like you hate America and Americans. I have traveled the world for you to accuse America as having the same practices, I will grant you that. But from what I have seen all over the world I can tell you now that I am happy that a place like America exists. There are countries all over the world, I would never want to raise a family in just because of the dangers in those society and their disrespect for either human life or women more specifically. I doubt you have been to many countries if you have been and seen their dark sides......I would say at least Americas dark side is easier to bear. Other countries darksides would make any human extremely depressed.

May 28, 2012 at 12:06 am | Reply
      • standard deviation

Read what I wrote instead of adding your own conclusions. I was responding to the post that said Africans are ignorant and leading their demise. I said america's fate is parallel. It's not hate, it's reality.
        I have not toured, but actually lived in every region of the globe. I haven't resided continually in any nation since I was a teenager, and here you are, a tourist, telling me what's what.

May 28, 2012 at 12:22 am |
      • bam

can u imagine if ANY of the bigots in the south went to europe? most likely the worst tourist ever....

May 28, 2012 at 2:22 am |
      • Rayan

I have lived in virtually every region of the globe or spent extensive amounts of time there, excluding Antarctica and South America, including Africa.

I can say without a doubt, Americans are the least ignorant people in the world. There are ignorant people everywhere, including America, but it is worse every single other place. Europeans are more ignorant than Americans, and much more stuck on themselves and self-righteous as well. Asians are even more ignorant. And when you get to Africa or the Middle East, the level of ignorance is just mind-blowing. Americans can't even hope to keep up. I'm sorry but it is no contest. The Chinese are incredibly ignorant, too. And self-indulgence? I just spent the last weekend in Dubai. You want to see self-indulgence? In short, Mr. Standard Deviation is totally just blowing smoke out his @rse, and/or doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

I will agree that Americans make for obnoxious tourists, though. Maybe about on par with Russians and Arabs in that particular category.

May 28, 2012 at 3:16 am |
      • standard deviation

@Rayan:

Did I hit a nerve? Sorry, but I stand by what I said. I was referring more to residents and expats, NOT tourists.

May 28, 2012 at 7:28 am |
      • Rayan

No, you didn't hit anything. There are cretins of your mental caliber in droves on the internet, so I'm quite used to it. I was just correcting you. Nobody cares if you stand by what you say, you're absolutely wrong on every point that I corrected.

and, okay, American expats tend to be obnoxious, too. Many of them act exactly like tourists, so, practically the same thing. Still, the assertion that they are the most ignorant people on Earth is just about the most asinine thing you could say. Standing by it doesn't make it any less so.

May 28, 2012 at 11:39 am |
      • NYC

Ditto, correct.

May 30, 2012 at 11:13 am |
    • bam

the gop would 100% start a rumor like that to keep the DARK AGES ongoing.... so pathetic... they could care less about these girls being raped and the gift of HIV.

May 28, 2012 at 2:20 am | Reply
      • melvinslizard

Epic fail. The GOP started a rumor, huh? okay....

June 1, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • Americanlivingabroad

Standard Deviation...you're very funny. Self-righteous, arrogant and completely bias (read – total hypocrite), but I have to give it you, you're quite funny to read.

May 28, 2012 at 2:25 am | Reply
      • standard deviation

Bias? You must mean 'biased'. Er, no...Not really. As for hypocrite... well aren't we all?

May 28, 2012 at 9:08 am |
      • joe

it appears standard is talking about himself

May 28, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • Kristina Jensen

It is you who sound self righteous and arrogant. I doubt that you have lived all over the world as you claim as well. Generic insults like the ones you posted serve no purpose other than to show your own ignorance and bais. (I am not an American so no point in insulting me on that basis either)

May 28, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Reply
    • really?

Good sir, a few things. You are clearly biased when it comes to America, because you automatically assumed that the comment about Africa going nowhere was made by an American. He/She does not state where they are from, yet you jump to that conclusion and label America as ignorant. If you've lived on every region of the globe then surely you know there are far worse people out there than an "obnoxious american". At least our ignorance doesn't attempt to kill you point blank for not believing in the same thing that the government does. At least we have schools and libraries, and freedom to express ourselves. Does that automatically mean that EVERY American is what you listed? No. You have no real basis for what you've said and it's simply an opinion tainted by prejudiced and hypocritical thoughts. You have my pity :) (and I'm not arguing back and forth with you so don't bother responding)

May 28, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Reply
      • standard deviation

After that post, it's best you don't respond. I'll just correct a few of your assumptions:

1. I jumped to no conclusion. I made a comparison. Hence, it is you who jumps to conclusions.

2. Americans in general, are ignorant. Does that mean EVERY American? Of course not. Again, that's your conclusion. Having libraries and schools doesn't mean children read books and study. Ever been inside an inner city school? Most Americans I meet know more about TV characters than having the slightest clue about what's happening in the world.

3. Americans don't kill each other for political reasons? You mean Timothy McVey and Waco never happened? Should I name some assassinations? Who needs political reasons when you have a murder rate as high as you do?

4. Yes, there are worse people out there. I'm speaking in general terms. Hands down, no comparison.
        Americans like to believe they are the light of the world. They are no such thing.

May 29, 2012 at 9:42 pm |
    • evansusmc

Compared to what? Compared to which country? I'm just going to say you are wrong and be done with it.

October 23, 2012 at 11:33 am | Reply
  3. Ringo65

Ignorant.

May 27, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Reply
  4. Lost

In many countries with poor or underdeveloped infrastructures, the men of these societies measure their manhood by what they are unable to provide for themselves and their communities. They feel the scrutiny of the world upon them and their failures, so they remain secluded in closed cultures where to them they can be "respected" and revered. This has been ongoing in many nations where people feel marginalized by the mainstream. The mainstream often excludes others based on race, wealth, education, locality, and cultural or ethnic differences. The worst part of this tragedy is that men will abuse the ones closest to them (often women and children, as they are viewed as property, commodities, or burdens). The value of womanhood, and the development of strength among women is of lowest priority. A man who is unable to see value in himself can never accept the value in others (especially those who are most like him...).

May 27, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Reply
    • SB_Australia

What a beautifully put answer to such a tragic story.

May 28, 2012 at 1:41 am | Reply
    • bam

sad part is this is the type of people the gop panders too.... dragging down the USA's intelligence levels to bush levels of palin stupid.

May 28, 2012 at 2:24 am | Reply
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

@SB_Australia

I agree. Probably the most intelligent answer to this kind of story.

May 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Reply
    • Liz

So true. The saddest part is that the best way to improve a community is to elevate the status of the women, improve the conditions under which they're living, educate and respect them. They become productive members of their community, bringing their work, wealth, their ideas, their dignity, their civilizing influence to the whole.

May 29, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Reply
    • evansusmc

Very thoughtful words there. Good job.

October 23, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Reply
  5. Sly

Its a pity. May God open their heart to stop this insane behavor.

May 27, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Reply
    • bam

which god and since when has any god been human? odd....

May 28, 2012 at 2:25 am | Reply
      • Rational Libertarian

Probably that desert storm god who hates gay people but loves everybody else, even though he'd send us to eternal agony for even the most minor transgressions.

May 28, 2012 at 6:07 am |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

Please keep you God out of this.

May 29, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Reply
  6. Linette Khaal

That clearly displays the shallowness of the Western female species crowing about the wicked world and all it's injustices. Been like that, is like that and will always be like that. Diamonds talk and BS walks.

May 27, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Reply
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

wow aren't we a BRIGHT one???

Not!

Sit down.

May 29, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Reply
  7. lkafle

Reblogged this on lava kafle kathmandu nepal.

May 28, 2012 at 12:58 am | Reply
  8. bam

this sounds exactly liek some the GOP would do to pander tot he ignorant.... to counteract a humane group spreading the word it is ILLEGAL Carl Rove starts a rumor that the cures cure HIV... so perfect... WAR ON WOMEN and gets the men on their side.... spreading HIV to these girls is no care to the gop...

May 28, 2012 at 2:19 am | Reply
    • Rational Libertarian

Liberal much?

May 28, 2012 at 6:09 am | Reply
    • Donna Reiser

Holding women accountable for their actions and making sure they have enough information to make informed choices is not a "war on women." Most talking about a "war on women" are not actual women, but male liberals. Liberals infect and hijack all that they get their hands on.

May 28, 2012 at 10:06 am | Reply
    • bam

war on women is taking choices away from them, forcing them back to the dark ages. those that do not see that are mostly men or bible freaks.

May 28, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Reply
  9. Rational Libertarian

I get the feeling the last line isn't a literal translation. Poor girl.

May 28, 2012 at 6:11 am | Reply
    • Jane

I guess that depends on just how old he is... haha! More seriously, I am always amazed by these stories that show some cultures still living in the dark ages.

June 11, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Reply
    • Ann

Gotta wonder if Akin would consider that a "legitimate rape."

October 23, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Reply
  10. Tranquility

Excellent stuff right there Standard deviation love the cynicism. I visited America quite a while back and I must say they were quite ignorant about their politics and current affairs and were quite shocked that I follow it on CNN??? But think about it the behavior described above is still quite ignorant. But wherever you will find culture's you don't appreciate. As much as I abhor what he did to that girl, it's perfectly normal to some people as sick as that sounds. So, I gave up trying to figure out the world and live it like I think it should be lived. There is enough heartbreak to go around.

May 28, 2012 at 7:20 am | Reply
  11. K Shah

Why is it that their cultures did not modernize, yeah its true that the spread of aids is out of control. The measures taken by the govt are not very clear, but I do hope they are working on it and have a plan to have it eliminated in 2 generations. This is beautiful world, I am sure if they worked on solving the problems, they would make great progress.

May 28, 2012 at 8:29 am | Reply
  12. CharlieSeattle

Sad.

May 28, 2012 at 8:36 am | Reply
  13. Sharon

Sad. But it was eye catching to read ...Non of these cases have yet reached the court...Even more promising ...

May 28, 2012 at 8:54 am | Reply
  14. dr john

This report began as a village steeped in myth. The search for a cure of HIV. In no time it turned into a diatribe of ignorance and exaggeration. Where care and sympathy is needed, all it received was foolish comments.

May 28, 2012 at 9:08 am | Reply
  15. The Old One

... and it was with great pride that the world celebrated its ability to put a culture like this in control of the country.. replacing apartheid with affirmheid, where you STILL have to be the same race as the president to get preferential treatment...

May 28, 2012 at 9:47 am | Reply
  16. armyz

this has been these people's tradition for god knows how long. Let them do what they do and try to focus on what's happening here.

May 28, 2012 at 9:54 am | Reply
    • Donna Reiser

And if they immigrate here?

May 28, 2012 at 10:04 am | Reply
      • Kumkum

Thanks for your remarks thuogh.The client-timeout errors are caused by the timeout (60seconds in your case) set on the httperf command line. You can make most of these go away by increasing the timeout, but it is interesting to see the difference between all the frameworks. I am not really sure what causes the connection reset errors.I am still planning to post an update to this benchmark, but i will need some extra machines for that.ps, I am curious how the maximum / optimum request rates of both machines differ.

August 4, 2012 at 3:40 am |
  17. Donna Reiser

About the only way to wipe out AIDS down there is to eliminate all the men who have it.

May 28, 2012 at 10:03 am | Reply
    • The Old One

Agreed!

May 28, 2012 at 10:06 am | Reply
    • Rational Libertarian

Wow, how enlightened. While were at it, let's "eliminate" blacks, gays, Jews, retards, non-Christians, Asians, Mexicans and people who wear glasses. That'll teach 'em.

May 28, 2012 at 10:27 am | Reply
      • Uzied

great idea!

May 28, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • The Old One

... Or, to satisfy the Libertarians, keep the productive ones but at least eliminate/amputate the tools they use to spread it with..

May 28, 2012 at 11:48 am | Reply
    • westraad

Oh i beg your pardon, as if its all the men's fault! I am a South African, and I have lived in Mozambique for 13 years. Our province, Gaza, has the highest percentage of AIDs in the whole of Mozambique. And i can promise you, its DEFINITELY not just the men's fault its spreading!

May 28, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Reply
    • A Traveling, Flag-Carrying American

If Donna Reiser is a female, I feel sorry for her. She has absolutely no compassion, which some mistakenly believe women have. She believes that giving women the right to make decisions for themselves, is wrong. She believes that forcing her religious beliefs on others is right. Do not try to say that "holding women accountable for their actions," is not based on archaic religious beliefs. It is. Otherwise, you would understand that some women are forced into untenable situations, i.e., this African village, or rape by incest, and others, and need some help and compassion. Giving them enough knowledge to make an informed decision is one thing, forcing them is another. Will you take the children born of this blight into your homes? Will you support the young mother is is yet a child herself? No. You spout nonsense from your self-built throne! Judge not, lest ye be judge.

May 29, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Reply
  18. jennysserendipity

Sad sad sad..this should not happen to children....

May 28, 2012 at 11:48 am | Reply
  19. Adekola kolawole

Just like old habits die hard, so also old customs and traditions. It is not only in South Africa, it is rampant in nothern Nigeria among the muslims.

May 28, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Reply
    • SA

Kill all the Muslims... that'll teach them.

May 28, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Reply
  20. Usman dala

Unfortunate!!!

May 28, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Reply
  21. Bill

Extreme Home Remedies

May 28, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Reply
  22. pet

When the sinner waxed proud, with a battering-ram he cast down fortified walls,

and thou didst not restrain him. Alien nations ascended thine altar, they trampled

it proudly with their sandals; because the sons of Jerusalem had defiled the holy

things of the Lord, had profaned with iniquities the offerings of God. Therefore

He said: Cast them far from me. According to their sins hath He done unto them,

for He hath left them in the hands of them that prevailed. He hath turned away his

face from pitying them, young and old and their children together; For they had

done evil one and all, in not hearkening. And the heavens were angry, and the

earth abhorred them; for no man upon it had done what they did, and the earth

recognized all thy righteous judgements, O God. They set the sons of Jerusalem to

be mocked at in return for the harlots in her; Every wayfarer entered in in the

full light of day. They made mock with their transgressions, as they themselves

were wont to do; in the full light of day they revealed their iniquities. And the

daughters of Jerusalem were defiled in accordance with Thy judgement, because they

had defiled themselves with unnatural intercourse. I am pained in my bowels and my

inward parts for these things. And yet I will justify Thee , O God, in uprightness

of heart, for in thy judgement is Thy righteousness displayed, O God. For thou

hast rendered to the sinners according to their deeds, yea according to their

sins, which were very wicked. Thou hast uncovered their sins, that Thy judgement

might be manifest; Thou hast wiped out their memorial from the earth. God is a

righteous judge, and He is no respecter of persons. For the nations reproached

Jerusalem, trampling it down; her beauty was dragged down from the throne of

glory. She girded on sackcloth instead of comely raiment, a rope was about her

head instead of a crown. She put off the glorious diadem which God had set upon

her, in dishonour was her beauty cast upon the ground. And I saw and entreated the

Lord and said, long enough, O Lord, has Thine hand been heavy on Israel, in

bringing the nations upon them. For they have made sport unsparingly in wrath and

fierce anger; And they will make an utter end, unless Thou, O Lord, rebuke them in

thy wrath. For they have done it not in zeal, but in lust of soul, pouring out

their wrath upon us with a view to rapine. Delay not, O God, to recompense them on

their heads, to turn the pride of the dragon into dishonour. And I had not long to

wait before God showed me the insolent one slain on the mountains of Egypt,

esteemed of less account than the least, on land and sea; his body, too, borne

hither and thither on the billows with much insolence, with none to bury him,

because He had rejected him with dishonour. He reflected not that he was man, and

reflected not on the latter end; he said: I will be lord of the land and sea; and

he recognized not that it is God who is great, mighty in His great strength. He is

king over the heavens, and judgeth kings and kingdoms. It is He who setteth me up

in glory, and bringeth down the proud to eternal destruction in dishonour, because

they knew Him not. And now behold, ye princes of the earth, the judgement of the

Lord, for a great King and righteous is He, judging all that is under heaven.

Bless God, ye that fear the Lord with wisdom, for the mercy of the Lord will be

upon them that fear Him in the Judgement; so that He will distinguish between the

righteous and the sinner, and recompense the sinners for ever according to their

deeds; and have mercy on the righteous, delivering him from the affliction of the

sinner, and recompensing the sinner for what he hath done to the righteous. For

the Lord is good to them that call upon Him in patience, doing according to His

mercy to His pious ones, establishing them at all times before Him in strength.

Blessed be the Lord for ever before His servants.

May 28, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Reply
    • PV

*thumps my bible in tune to the recitation above*

May 29, 2012 at 5:02 am | Reply
    • Jaegerin

lol PV, and exactly how pet, has your god helped Africa?

May 29, 2012 at 9:23 am | Reply
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

Oh F­ U­ C­ K OFF B­ I­ B­ L­ E T­ H­ U­ M­ P­ E­ R

May 29, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Reply
    • Hahahahahahahahaha

Ooooooooooooooo! Double spacing!!!!!!!!!! Hahahahahahahahahaha

June 1, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Reply
  23. HUge

Can anyone tell me how to find this "KwaCele, South Africa" on Google maps please ?

May 28, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Reply
  24. eve

this whole world is going down.not just africa and america.all humans are selfish asswholes.....christians are the worst.if a canadite for president stood up and said he didnt beleave in god he'd have my vote.they all lie.....

May 29, 2012 at 1:13 am | Reply
  25. Robin

That is GOD AWFUL. THOSE little black ladies are so cute. That's the most awful deed. Selling your daughter for some food because you're hungry and need it. How sad. The same is done everywhere, generally. That's is so sad. They give their lives like Jesus to vicious men and are infected with HIV and never even get a life. That's terrible. I think that the planet should recognize women as people.

May 29, 2012 at 2:57 am | Reply
    • Jaegerin

Robin, long before white settlers went to Africa, selling their children has been part of African culture and remains so today. The government in SA is too busy finding ways of squandering taxpayers' money to worry about 12-year olds in the Eastern Cape or the fact that half way into the academic year, more than 5000 schools in Limpopo Province have no text books. Oh and of course, JZ is squealing about the spear that has reduced the reputation of a 100-year old organisation to rubble. Bring me my machine gun!

May 29, 2012 at 9:18 am | Reply
  26. A 14 year old hopeless African girl

For THE americans who feel That Africa has no future and That they are hopeless, it is because your own people intened it to be this way. America and so many European nations have become wealthy on THE blood, sweat, tears and robbed riches of Africa. And this lasted centuries. How long has Africa gained independence? Do you think enough time has gone by to recover from all THE astrocities your people have put on africans. Fertile lands became barren and families torn apart. I am not saying there were no wars in africa prior to colonialism, however, there was a system and it worked. But of course THE white man had to introduce THE idea of self. It took a long time for africans to accept THE idea of money, because we think of THE importance of community, no one is leeft out and as we worked as a team we had all we needed. So THE whites decide to stir up troubles by dividing people based on superficial traits. THE colonialists took everything from us and left us with destruction and their sick mentality of me me me. Ok americans are better educated (or brainwashed), but what people mean by the ignorance of Americans is that Americans have no idea how they are being seen across the world. They feel they are such a great nation that do no wrong. Americans don't see that they are the actual terrorists of the world since propaganda from their own government and media has blinded them. Truth is there are millions of people around the world that celebrated when 9-11 happened. Americans are ignorant for not understanding how evil their own regime is. But America is a fantastic PR machine so I personally don't blame the innocent well meaning Americans and I don't agree with killings. But for real change to come Americans must wake from their American dream.

May 29, 2012 at 4:04 am | Reply
    • Jonquil

Don't be hopeless, The World is trying to fix these problems. Change is happening. Remember, however, that it is never excusable for anyone to blame the USA for these men abducting and raping kids. Rape isn't about survival - it isn't like stealing food out of someone's garden. It's always wrong, even if people have been conditioned to look the other way as it happens. These men have themselves to blame, but as they have become more educated about what it really is, that they're doing, hopefully they'll realize they have no more excuses and must stop.

There have been many wrongs in America's past and we've been dedicated to trying to make them as right/whole as possible. However, America's historical offenses and mistakes are not a free pass for others to committ atrocities. Individuality may have it's downfalls, but responsibility for the bad things we do to others, should be entirely individual.

You need to be critical of America, it's very important that you are, but respect your fellow community members enough to hold them to high standards, too. Expect that they are capable of being humane and when safe for you, demand it of them. Demand to have your humanity respected. Despite how it seems, The USA is sincerely trying to prevent these atrocities from happening, trying to do our best to fix past wrongs. The World would notice a difference if we weren't and it wouldn't be a positive one. People don't know what they have until it's gone.

May 29, 2012 at 10:32 am | Reply
      • Daniel Rizzo

America is only 300 years old, get over it. America is not the source of your problem, Africa is. This is what happens when the master stops training the dog.

May 30, 2012 at 11:04 am |
    • American Woman

Until you stop blaming other people for your mistakes you will never evolve.

May 29, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Reply
    • Daniel Rizzo

help yourself, nobody gets anything for free.

May 30, 2012 at 11:03 am | Reply
    • smart123

All the divisions of tribes and people can be reversed by uniting the people. Regarding the development of the nation, wel that can be done one step at a time. Kenya itself is making an effort to get there. Yes I know we are still a mess, but we're making some progress.

Keep working on newer systems to fix things, regarding aids and other chronic diseases, there are programs that do work such as sterilization...

May 30, 2012 at 11:07 am | Reply
    • Jaegerin

It would appear that you have had the benefit of an education, which is more than can be said for most 14-year old Africans I’ve ever met. You most certainly have an edge, if indeed you are 14. Instead of looking for sympathy by playing the ‘hopeless card’, why don’t you actually DO something positive about a culture which practises this bar bar ic super sti tion and child-slavery? It's easy to criticise and make unsubstantiated and outrageous claims against the USA or other countries – but how about you lift yourself out of your self-inflicted comfort zone of 'hopelessness' and actually do something to help your fellow Africans instead of pointing the ra ci st spear at others? Or are you waiting for Jesus to return? What will you say to Him, I wonder, when He says, ‘my child, I gave you an education, over and above the others, what did you do with it?’

June 25, 2012 at 10:02 am | Reply
    • isabelsmaia79

if you see the history of the world in the last 100 years you will watch the Americans always getting war in the 5 continents and also the first to go to the Mon they never get satisfactions and they have AL , i gets they never will get peace and hope

July 20, 2012 at 11:51 pm | Reply
  27. A 14 year old hopeless African girl

I'm sorry for being off topic but this has been on my mind for a long time

May 29, 2012 at 4:07 am | Reply
    • Jonquil

Keep expressing yourself, however and wherever you can (as long as you are careful not to endanger yourself). If you really are 14, you're a very, smart girl. Things will get better and I think you will see big changes in your lifetime. You will probably be part of them!

May 29, 2012 at 10:37 am | Reply
    • American Woman

We will applaud when your children die of hunger. One less person for us to support.

May 29, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Reply
      • arrington, marie

you are truly a disgusting human being.

June 6, 2012 at 11:39 am |
      • Professor

Don't feed the troll. Someday we will have AI protocols to automatically delete and flag posts like this.

June 9, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
      • isabelsmaia79

EUROPEAN PERSON say; america thin money money and money so, way you don't stay there in your big country , ha ,always getting what is not yours by the war , i don't think you can tell .. " america woman stay way from me ...." Lenny
        k everybody say AMERICA WOMAN STAY WAY FROM ME YE YE

July 21, 2012 at 12:09 am |
    • smart123

Don't worry about what is happening, I must also tell you that the middle east is constantly being bullied economically and militarily by the west, and to balance this out the middle east is sending terrorists to the west to blow the west up. Plans are on tthe way for nuclear suicide bombers....

2) China is working very strongly to bring the west down and they are succeeding, the only problem is that China shall do what the west is doing now.

3) Nothing is permanent, the west is dying out slowly and the east is coming up. Africa should simply be strong and have a plan to strengthen the continent.

4) Leave all their silly religions such as Christianity and Islam, they are doing nothing but creating more problems in the continent.

May 30, 2012 at 11:14 am | Reply
  28. krehator

How does a continent, that supposidly is the birthplace of mankind, still not evolve after so long? I just don't get it.

May 29, 2012 at 6:05 am | Reply
    • MD in training

Malaria

May 29, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Reply
  29. Nancy

This myth has been around for soooo long now! How is it that it hasn't been quelled yet?

May 29, 2012 at 7:48 am | Reply
  30. Dan

These people live in the dark ages. I'm surprised that they don't practice bleeding.

May 29, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Reply
    • A Traveling, Flag-Carrying American

And, I'm surprised you haven't imploded with all your self-importance and knowledge. Have you been to parts of Tennesee and Arkansas? People without outside communication and education, rely on others to give them information...incorrect as that may be. I'm sure you've noticed, i.e., Fox News and Rush Limbaugh. Even when told that fact checkers have caught them in lies, they refuse to acknowledge, thereby perpetuating the ignorance they hold. Same in Africa...except Africa has a better excuse for its ignorance.

May 29, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Reply
      • cleat

um- your lefty mefia agencies LIE all time. remember msnbc or was it nbc who doctored the 911 zimmerman tapes? they "apologized" and swept it under the rug liek they didnt know it was even happening...yeahhh

May 30, 2012 at 8:00 am |
      • ironfray

That's very true.. lack of the right kind of information can breed situations like this.

June 11, 2012 at 11:12 am |
  31. cleat

OK...we are ignorant. Ignorant to the tune of a couple hundred BILLION dollars in aid to dang near evey country and region. Billions from us during your crises (floods/eathquakes, etc...). Even aid from our military.
    Yeah, we may not be angels- but we try dang it.

May 30, 2012 at 7:58 am | Reply
  32. Emmi

Another sad story.

May 30, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Reply
  33. Hi

That's so disgusting,if these old african pigs thing they can be cure by marrying a young girl,they are really stupid.God please protect these kids,the old men need to be punish

May 30, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Reply
    • ironfray

Unfortunately there is no God to protect these children.. Only human beings that take a stand for a better world.

June 11, 2012 at 11:09 am | Reply
  34. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son.

Reparations my backside!

June 7, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Reply
  35. JOSEPH

THAT WHEN INDICATION OF COPLETE LOSS OF FAITH AND GOOD WILL AMONG PEOPLE. IT SURELY INDICATES THAT THE DEVIL MADE ANCHOR IN PEOPLES' LIVES. WHAT CAN BE DONE? FOR ONE, WILD PLANTS GROWN OUT OF THE SEED OF THE DEVIL CAN BE CUT OR PULLED OUT DRIED IN THE SUN AND SET ON FIRE. THATS I BELIEVE THE DEVIL WILL GO DEEPER INTO THE EARTH AND DISAPPEAR...

June 8, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Reply
  36. Coriolana

Proof that humans are naturally stupid.

June 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Reply
    • ironfray

Don't be so hard on yourself Coriolana.

June 11, 2012 at 11:07 am | Reply
    • isabelsmaia79

i don't think that are stupid, its psychological needs medical attentions

July 21, 2012 at 12:41 am | Reply
  37. CharlieSeattle

The problem with Africa is that it is filled with Aricans.

June 9, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Reply
  38. Maria

Men are idiots.

June 13, 2012 at 11:31 am | Reply
  39. barbarianofgor

I like towards the end "It seems only women and children have rights..."

New World Order is even moving the Black man now down to the low they put White man; Slave

June 13, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Reply
  40. Sandi Butler

Seems that now days there R 2 many people with absolutely nothing 2 do but sit around and post their ignorance on these sites. I, being curious, looked at this and am truly shocked at how many of you have obviously zero 2 do!

June 20, 2012 at 12:22 am | Reply
  41. Sara

gadhwali-kumyuni bhashaun tai shmicaut sthan ar adhikar dilauna wast bahutai koshish karni holi.sirf seminaraun ar bhashnaun se yo kaam puro ni hwai sakddo.yanka wast sabse paili bol-chal ki bhasha gadhwali-kumayuni tai banaan padlo.lok-samaj ma apni bhasha ko jyada se jyada istemal ho.ghar,bazar,daftar bus,train,shadi-barat,mela-khela sabbi jagah apni baat apni bhasha ma ho.bol-chal ka sath-sath sahity tai bi samridh kan padlo.har vidha ma uchch koti ko sahity srijan ho.bhasha ma jatilta kam ho.ek roopta ki koshish ho.primary se leki uchch shiksha tak gadhwali-kumayuni tai shamil kare jaw.daftaraun ma apni bhasha ma hi bole jaw.jo ni samjhalo wo dhire-dhire koshish kari kai samjhi jalo.yakh naukri kan ta ya waiki jimmedari holi ki wo hamri bhasha tai sikhnai koshish kar. tab hamari bhasha rajy ki bhasha bi bani jali ar 8win anusoochi ma bi ai jali.yanka wast bi ek janandolan ki jaroorat cha. mi gadhwali ma lyakhnu chhaun firbi ini koshish cha ki myar kumayuni bhai-band bi bhali kai samjhi jain . aap logaun ki koshish ar junoon ka wast dhanybad,,jugraj raiyan..dr narendra gauniyal jadaookhand-dhumakot

July 1, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Reply
  42. Name*Leonard

Hey we should help those who surffer and that is when you can learn to appretiat your life in future.

December 11, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Reply
  43. Name*Leonard

Hey we should help those who surffer and that is when you are able to appretiat your life in future.I'm amedical doctor In Africa and I request for all your help so we can stop HIV AIDS in Africa .contact me on my email(Leonardmusiwa@yahoo.com) if u can give hand.God Bless you all.

December 11, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Reply
  44. Wendy Brimm

hello to you all, my name is Wendy Brimm , i am from Vegas here in united state, i wish to tell you all, how i find a doctor that cure me from SKIN CANCER, which i had for three years with his natural herbal medicine he gave to me , it all went this way, i was internet that very day when i saw a comment of a woman called MARIA KATRINA from united kingdom sharing her testimony about how this very doctor cured her of HIV, and he also cured AIDS too, but i never really believed but i just decided to give it a try and i contacted DR OTUKPU, so he told me everything i needed to know and what to do to get cured and free from my cancer issue, so i went straight and make provisions for the herbs which he used to prepare medicine for me,i applied the medicine and just to see that the exact day which DR OTUKPU said i we be cured i was felling good and healthy at once, my strength was regained i went for check up in the hospital and my family doctor told me i am free from cancer my skin can back to normal, this was the greatest miracle that has happened to me in my life, and i promise DR OTUKPU that i we share his good work to the world, these are few i can say about this DR OTUKPU, i went with my family to thank him for his great work and solution in my life, wish i never expected this was possible, I we like you to contact him, by email: (DROTUKPUSPELLHOME@GMAIL,COM) if you have any health issue i believe this doctor can help you out as well.

March 25, 2014 at 9:21 pm | Reply