March 23rd, 2012

Undercover filmmaker: Trafficker priced me up

By Mimi Chakarova, Special to CNN

For the past decade, photographer-filmmaker Mimi Chakarova has examined conflict, corruption and the sex trade. Her film "The Price of Sex," a feature-length documentary made over seven years on trafficking and corruption, premiered in 2011. She was awarded the Nestor Almendros Award for courage in filmmaking at the Human Rights Watch Film Festival in New York. It will air in the U.S. on The Documentary Channel on April 11 at 4.30p0.m. ET

She was wearing a polka dot skirt and her favorite pink flip-flops the day she left her village in Albania. Her mom called out her name before she got into her boyfriend's red Mitsubishi. She didn't turn to wave goodbye. She was 12 and angry.

Her stepdad has been raping her for as long as she can remember. She couldn't tell her mom. She knows she'd be sent away. She'd be the one blamed. Girls tempt grown men and bring it on themselves, they'd say. And there was also his drinking that made him do it, they'd add.

Once they were in Italy, her boyfriend changed - he told her she'll work for him as a prostitute. She thought he was playing some silly joke. She left home to be with him; to one day marry him. He is older. She's in love.

He slapped her back to reality. Told her how much money she cost him for the speedboat ride, her fake documents, the clothes and make-up he bought to make her look pretty and pass for 18.

She cried. And he cut her knee deep with a knife to make her stop. For the next seven years, the scar is a reminder she has no one but him to fear and return to.

Years later, I recorded her story at a secret shelter for women and saw court documents backing up what she told me. She pressed charges against her pimp but she says his uncle was a judge and released him on bail. The pimp left Albania until things cooled off. He is still free and has even bought a three-story house in her village in northern Albania.

Meanwhile, her family found out she was a "hooker who didn't even bring back any money, only an abortion and STDs." They disowned her. Her mom still doesn't know her husband was the first to abuse her.

That was the story of a young Albanian girl I met while filming "The Price of Sex" - sold into sex work in Italy and Belgium by a man who pretended to be her boyfriend.

The first woman I photographed had been trafficked to Turkey. She returned to Moldova, one of the poorest countries in Eastern Europe, wearing the same pants, blouse and shoes she left in.

Relying on her contacts in the town where she was sold, I retraced her journey to Turkey and met with one of her pimps - a man notorious for the sadistic abuse of the girls he owned.

Unable to take photographs, I posed as a Bulgarian woman for sale and spoke with Tania, a girl from Ukraine who was trafficked at the age of 23 and purchased as a slave by Yusuf.

I push my camera bag under the white plastic table, slouching down to appear more relaxed. The sun set four hours ago and the outdoor cafe where I'm sitting faces the fishing boats docked by the bay.

Only now the fear slowly seeps in as I notice a middle-aged man with an off-white cotton shirt and beige trousers approach the table.

The young woman by his side looks straight ahead. Her clothes are a few sizes too small by intent. They sit down at opposite ends of one another. I introduce myself in Russian.

The pimp doesn't understand but he doesn't need to. He is here to price me. He adjusts his gold-rimmed glasses, lights a cigarette and puts his cell phone on the table.

The young woman, Tatiana, also known as Tania, is average – small, tired and looking much older than 25.

We start talking. I'm nervous: "I am coming from Istanbul. For work."

"So you know what this is about?" she asks slowly as if speaking in code and then takes another drag on her cigarette.

"Yes."

"Let's talk then," she smiles at Yusuf who is staring at my breasts without trying to be discreet. "You'll live with him. There is plenty of work," she pauses to adjust the thick strap of her orange tank top. "Sometimes 30 a day."

She tells me the clients are handsome, she denies Yusuf hits her – though in both cases I know the truth.

"Look, Yusuf likes you," she says. "You can start tomorrow."

My hand is shaking as I try to write down the digits of Tania's cell phone number.

"It's your first time, huh?" Tania smiles. "I was the same, hadn't done this before. But after a couple of days, you'll forget everything," she pauses and pulls out another cigarette.

"Home, friends, memories... " she looks down and inhales the smoke. "Nothing will matter."

Tania stares into the distance where boat lights flicker. Her next client is waiting in one of these boats. "Think about it," she stands up. "We'll be back in a bit."

She walks away with Yusuf close by her side like a father or an older uncle.

Working to expose this misery makes you want to never leave your house again. But you can't hide. You've promised too many people to carry on. You've connected the dots for a decade. You can break it down into the most basic elements: supply and demand.

The supply is steady - poor women and kids need a way out. They leave in search of jobs. They are duped, sold, used up and deported back to where they came from. Penniless, ashamed, scared.

And the demand? It's something few are willing to tackle. It's not only fishermen, construction workers and soldiers who frequent the brothels of Turkey, Russia, Kosovo, the United Arab Emirates, the U.K., Israel, Greece, Italy and many other countries where women are trafficked to. You also have cops, politicians, policy makers, U.N. personnel. Men who'd rather remain anonymous.

And after all, this human trafficking phenomenon isn't a new criminal trend. It's existed since the beginning of documented time. But what is astonishing to me is how recently we agreed to agree that sex slavery should be punished by law.

Think about it. The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime defined the Palermo Protocol in 2000 and implemented it in 2003. That's only nine years ago! And The Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act was passed by the U.S. Department of State in 2000.

Awareness matters. People must know. We must change perceptions.

But let's not fool ourselves. As long as the huge discrepancy between poor and rich countries continues to exist, as long as access to justice is denied or corrupt, as long as stigma keeps women silent, and law enforcement agents take bribes or use the trafficked women as bargaining chips, we can make films, go to schools, speak until our voices grow weak and still only make a pitiful dent.

The first question we must answer is "Why is human trafficking only second to drugs in profitability?"

Then think of Henry Ford's words: "Show me who profits from war and I will show you how to stop the war."

Apply this to trafficking. If we, as an international community, agreed that the trafficking and selling of human beings is unacceptable and we've had nine years to reduce the numbers, then what else is standing in the way? Do the lives of poor women matter?

I am posing these questions because unless we honestly answer them, all of my work and the persistent effort and dedication of others in the field won't be enough in this lifetime.

And I don't think it is fair for the next generation should inherit one of the worst human rights abuses known to mankind. The time is now.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Mimi Chakarova.

1. Violet

You are so right. More and more people need to become aware of this scourge. Thanks for doing the great job along with cnn.

March 23, 2012 at 6:53 am | Reply
    • ynfei

this is miserable. nowdays , with the rapid development of economy, personally , ithink it has become quite easy for people to find a job , even if , to some extent , not that decent.however , for most , they do not hope to do the hard work .their aim is to make a fortune , much to their surprise , at the orice of their self-respect and health.if given the chance , from the bottom of my heart , i would like to do them a fevour .anyway , late is better than never.god bless them.

March 23, 2012 at 9:42 am | Reply
      • you managed to say absolutely nothing

and you took a whole paragraph to do it, congratulations

March 23, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
      • Everything in Moderation

That wasn't nothing. That was "It's all their own fault, but I'm a great person, so I pray for their lazy, unworthy souls."

It rather irritates that you can't see past your own judgment of them to be the human you "want" to be.

March 23, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
      • defconfive

It makes just as much sense if you read it backwards.

March 23, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
      • and you as well have the ability to say nothing with many words

and I tip my jock strap to you as well

March 23, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
      • Dandy

I get it .. I get it... oh wait... no I don't.

March 24, 2012 at 12:31 am |
      • Cheese Wonton

It works the other way. The industrialists and finance industry work very hard to ensure a labor surplus to keep wages low and workers compliant and needy. Jobs are anything but abundant, anywhere in the world. Someone needs to pull their nose out of the paint thinner soaked rag, breathe some fresh air and clear their head.

March 24, 2012 at 10:51 am |
      • I saw a kid huffing

that is one nasty way to get high

the crazed look in that kids eyes, the sick evil laughter, really from an insane asyllum, that is a drug that kills the brain

March 24, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
      • Voice4hope

Did you really just blame the victims?

March 26, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
    • Mr Duckworth

Pray the Rosary to stop and defeat Evil. God bless those trying to prevent this horrible industry.

March 23, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Reply
      • guinny

Or better yet, don't waste energy and effort praying–DO something.

March 23, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
      • Jeff

When will you religious people accept reality and accept that praying does absolutely nothing but make yourselves feel better. After centuries of millions, if not billions, of humans praying, and/or practicing their rituals, the world is in the state that it is in. Nothing comes of praying and you know it but are cowards for continuing the fraud and manipulation.

March 23, 2012 at 10:55 pm |
      • TrueReality

Do both! The two are not mutually exclusive. Pray to God for the end of this terrible practice, pray without ceasing, for we know that God hears our prayers. And also do what is in your power to end it. God has given humanity to ability to do so many things in this world – the ability to invent medicines and technologies that save and improve lives. If you ask God, "How could you allow things like that to happen?", I imagine He might very well respond, "How you YOU allow it?"

March 23, 2012 at 11:16 pm |
      • Nate

Easy people. Why do you take someone's best intentions whether it be prayer, beliefs, or personal convictions and persecute them for it? I know you may not think it helps, but I personally have seen some great things come of prayer. Believe what you like that is what we are about, but stop acting like you are somehow enlightened and those that believe are somehow below you. It goes both ways too. Don't claim you are somehow religious and then do exactly the opposite like a hypocrite.

March 23, 2012 at 11:46 pm |
      • Floris

They do it because they are ashamed of their own faith. A true atheist couldn't care less if people pray. Who cares? But someone with secret faith will call it out, demand that people not pray, call them names, etc. It's sad. If you have faith, just own it. It's ok. Really.

March 24, 2012 at 12:50 am |
      • Spawned

When we decide to rely on faith, hope and prayer we never get anywhere, did you ever notice?

March 24, 2012 at 1:06 am |
      • ocenbrz

It really is not out of arrogance that most people who have prayed long and hard come out and tell the world, it isn't working. Crimes like this one are proof that centuries of praying have accomplished nothing more than taken up a lot of people's free time. Please, do what you like but don't just pray. Because even the Bible says basically, God helps those who help themselves. Meaning, God helps no one. People help each other. Often because they believe that is what will get them to heaven ,whatever works. Sadly, too many depend on prayer that have lived long enough to know it did not feed one poor soul. But their good works might have and that is what we need more of here.

Less fear. Fewer people turning the other way. More shelters and just more people to speak out and say they care. I know many people who bring up prayer really mean they care. It is a trained response many make in the case of sorrow. Just understand that prayer won't solve this problem. Your Gods either won't or don't care enough to stop it. But we as human beings can do better when we treat children with more kindness and talk about abuse. We are reading about hundreds of abuse cases now in the news when it use to be taboo. They said people don't want to read about it.

No, people don't but we are more upset to know we might have been able to help but no one bothered to ask us for it. Or worse, children asked for help but were given a deaf ear because no one wanted to listen to them. I don't care if any Gods are listening or not. Gods are not abusing children, people are and we can do something about this, if we want to.

March 24, 2012 at 4:31 am |
      • Max

That is the huge risk with believing in a god – hope that that god will do something when we must do it ourselves. Praying the rosary while people die is like eating ice cream and watching people drown. If we want things better, we must fix things our selves. There is no god.

March 24, 2012 at 5:14 am |
      • boofoo

butt-beads

March 24, 2012 at 7:49 am |
      • boofoo

Jeff's just angry because he couldn't get much for his little sis

March 24, 2012 at 8:01 am |
      • Fearfully and Wonderfully Made

To Spawned – Personally, I have noticed the exact opposite.

When I decide to rely on ME, instead of faith, hope and prayer I never get anywhere.

March 24, 2012 at 9:28 am |
      • Ed

There is no god.

March 24, 2012 at 10:03 am |
      • Chuck

Must be your god's will or it wouldn't be happening. I would think these poor girls have tried every prayer they know.

March 24, 2012 at 10:48 am |
      • neg

praying the rosary is not going to get any answers, Jesus said to no make meaningless repetions, and to pray LIKE this when He uttered the Lord's prayer. Pray to God with an honest heart asking for these helpless women and children. God hears.

March 24, 2012 at 10:57 am |
      • Disapointed

God gave us free will. It's not He who enslaves these women, it's the pimps. Place the blame where it belongs. And not everyone can go under cover, investigate, rally, march in the streets... If praying is all someone can do, it's better than nothing. Is your purpose to end human trafficking or dismantle religion? For all of you condemning prayer, you've managed to take an article about the plight of abused women and turned it into a theological debate filled with your thoughts and your issues with a higher power. At least praying the rosary is keeping the focus on the women and off yourselves.

March 28, 2012 at 12:29 am |
    • Nate

As a father of girls this story touches me like no other. I can't believe how some in this world treat their children. For example the little girl from slum dog millionaire.. Her father tried to sell her if I remember correctly. Who are these people and how do they have such little regard for human life. I can only cringe at what we have been and continue. This is a real human rights issue and is worthy of more attention than any other right now. If we can't protect children what good is it to pursue the rights of adults.

March 23, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Reply
      • tophe

Well said Nate. The little ones should be our priority so they don't grow into monsters and perpetuate this thing.

March 24, 2012 at 1:23 am |
    • libby

i am researching this for school and i am appalled why isnt anything being done to help these women?

March 25, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Reply
      • steve

I dont know Libby, why havent you done anything to help these women

March 26, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
    • RealityBuff

Everybody IS aware of it and have been for years. Just a lot of people either don't care or don't want to get involved. They just go doing their best to protect their own and ignore the rest of the world.

March 26, 2012 at 10:42 am | Reply
  2. TROTC

Thank you so much for your courage and contribution to showing the world an ugly part of reality. I have not had a chance to view your movie but believe that it should be part of high school curriculum.
    Keep up the good work.
    H.

March 23, 2012 at 7:35 am | Reply
    • Brian

Your story is very touching and angers me to the core of my soul. These young beautiful girls being used as a commodity. I have searched and tried to find a friend in these countries to bring to America and offer a life of choice of their own, only to find it is a scam, many times being ran by the women themselves. Many women from the Western world are fixated on money and materialism. These women from countries where abuse runs rampant, and the law offers little, if no protection, would die to have a chance to live in America with someone who would not abuse them, but love and cherish them. It is sad to find it nearly impossible to meet anyone genuine. I cannot wait to see your film, even though I know it will sadden many, but if not for someone as brave and courageous as yourself to expose this, things will never change. You are the type of person that people should aspire to be like. Thank you for your courage and frank truthfulness.

March 23, 2012 at 9:45 am | Reply
      • WS

I get what you're saying, but abuse also happens in first world countries too. As a woman who grew up in the US i was molested as a child AND raped when i grew up. I'm sure we have a better life in general in the US than they do, but just being in the states doesn't mean nothing like that won't happen to you....It seems you've had bad experiences with women before, hope you meet the right one, keep trying!

March 23, 2012 at 10:09 am |
      • Jonathan

That is a huge compliment! They are one of my ofavrite magazines. Hope it brings a great new crop of simple-living, creative and hip gardeners your way.

April 9, 2012 at 2:42 am |
      • Viviana

Hey there, hope all is well with you. The picture on the thing dosnet fully load for some reason, could be just my pc though.Just came to say hi. I'm blogging in LJ again, just follow the link

April 14, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
  3. cnn

March 23, 2012 at 7:50 am | Reply
    • William Mezzetti

Wonderful music. where can I get a copy of his music.

March 23, 2012 at 10:41 am | Reply
      • meemee

Yeah, but what is the point of it being here?

March 23, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
      • Mark

You get it from Itunes!
        The artist is Omar Faruk Tekbilek, and the song is called "I love you".

March 23, 2012 at 9:43 pm |
  4. mustapha

i love woman

March 23, 2012 at 8:10 am | Reply
    • Christensen

I love women too, bu that is why I respect them and do not take advantage of anyone. I also love God, and so the idea of abusing another person for my selfish pleasure (or even ignorance or any other reason) is so perverse to me. I will fight against human trafficking because I love God and women. I will also fight against human trafficking because I'm a survivor of child abuse and know what it is to be abused. Will you show your true love for women by fighting against human trafficking or your love only for yourself?

March 23, 2012 at 9:17 am | Reply
      • Brian

I agree 100%. Such a statement leaves many questions to his motive. I love women, I love people. No one has the right to destroy a young woman's life. No MEANS NO, and I respect this. Unfortunately, we as individuals cannot save the world, but we can bond together and let these people know it will not be tolerated. If I could find a woman to care for and love from any of these places, I would. But there is just as much corruption from those claiming to need this help, as there is people who are genuine. Tell me HOW I can help and I will do my best to offer what I can. Thank you Chistensen.
        Brian

March 23, 2012 at 9:51 am |
      • Danish

Eastern Europe, In my Opinion Poverty and Lack of Education drives things that way. I Wish I could help them with bringing some Business and Educational Professionals there to help and prevent the Miserable humanity. Amen.

March 23, 2012 at 10:35 am |
      • I love women, too

now before you make an a$$ out of you and you, why can't you just take that and leave it as I love women

does it need to be jumped on? Do you need to psychoanalyze it for the hidden message, no

good

March 23, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
      • Christensen is an overreactionary fool

I love women too. If you dare imply I a am a traffiker simply because I love women and all human beings than that makes you just as bad as people who abuse women. Why don;t you love women? You must abuse them! How dare you? You are a horrible human being and not avery bright one. Do you even bother to read into a statement before you attack it like the feral minded dingleberry that you are? People like oyu should be forced to take a test before being allowed near a computer because your opinion is sheer stupidity.

March 24, 2012 at 8:22 am |
    • Himanshu

Hiya! Quick question that's tolalty off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird when viewing from my iphone. I'm trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to fix this issue. If you have any recommendations, please share. Appreciate it!

July 3, 2012 at 4:07 am | Reply
  5. sue

Haven´t seen the movie. I´m sure there are some hard realities shown.
    Politicians should be force fed this movie several times, for its them that can make a change and them that lack the courage to do so.

March 23, 2012 at 8:11 am | Reply
  6. mustapha

black side of the moon sister!!!

March 23, 2012 at 8:14 am | Reply
    • Joseph

That abused woman is someone's daughter or sister. Would you like the abuse to happen to your daughter or sister or mother because if you do then you are utterly perverse!

March 23, 2012 at 8:30 am | Reply
      • Brian

This character has no business posting and is clearly here to provoke responses. Ignore him and he will go un-heard. He very well may be one of these abusers, who are we to know. Ignoring him is the best answer. Most of us care, apparently he does not. So let him say what he will. Answering him will only bring him what he wants.

March 23, 2012 at 9:57 am |
      • I am trying to ignore the both of you

your posts are not wonderful either

March 23, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
      • tophe

I think both Joseph and Brian might be suffering from translation issues but I agree that your way of going about this Brian is not the most effective. It seems as if you want to rescue one girl – and perhaps at your benefit – rather than exposing and fighting the corruption and complacence that perpetuates and even fosters this type of behavior. We'd all love to take all of the girls away from this torture, but that's not realistic. We need to remove the incentive for those that benefit from it. Create a strong deterrent, enforce it, and do it prominently. This will be the only effective method of destroying this industry.

March 24, 2012 at 1:35 am |
    • spent

Joseph: You are breaking our heart! This profession has been around and will continue..We all have our problems, right?

March 23, 2012 at 9:30 am | Reply
      • pdxmum

It isn't a profession. A profession is a job or a career. This is slavery.

March 23, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
  7. sankar

"Show me who profits from war and I will show you how to stop the war."
    This sort of thing has been going on for centuries. Human society has been beating women into submission and the world has progressively become more and more dangerous ... to the point where we are nearing possible extinction.

It is not clear to me at all how to stop this madness. I am convinced that 80% of people, in their hearts of hearts reject this, but the other 20% are the active ones.

March 23, 2012 at 9:28 am | Reply
    • Sei

Well, we can start with the fact that the 20% who seeks to enslave and abuse women is almost always men. We need to examine why men are taught they have the right/privilege to treat women this way.

March 23, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Reply
    • Susan

Women have made tremendous strides in the last 100 years against things like this – just tremendous. That we can even have this discussion is huge. I am hopeful we are on the right track, and we will be able to make what is described in this story happen less and less often as the rest of the world catches up.

March 23, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Reply
      • From another Susan

Nicely put Susan. Massive, systemic change takes time. That sucks, but it's the reality of the situation. I like that you focus on improvement and are optimistic about our future...

March 23, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
  8. Val

The article could do without the last quote from the notorious antisemite and Hitler's admirer Henry Ford.

March 23, 2012 at 9:45 am | Reply
    • other than that, a nice article

too funny, I had read right over that

March 23, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Reply
    • Semite

What? You can't quote someone when they are 100% correct and extremely relevant to the discussion because of deplorable, but unrelated beliefs? Sure, Ford was all the things you said, but this specific quote is wise, germane, and reflects none of his offensive, mistaken beliefs.

March 23, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Reply
    • Yep

I thought the same thing...I get the point but a better quote would have resonated a bit better. I only recently learned of Henry Ford's anti-semitism and was a bit appalled.

March 23, 2012 at 11:31 pm | Reply
  9. Danish

Excellent Work. I am Lovin It.

March 23, 2012 at 11:17 am | Reply
  10. Lauren

Hello,
    I am doing a project on human trafficking. I am looking on learning the different perspectives. Can you please get back to me. I would love to be able to talk to you. The project is a fictional story and a nonfictional research paper. Is there anyway you can help with raising awareness, that would be just great!!!! this is such a horrible situation in the world and I would love to be able to have it be a well known topic !

March 23, 2012 at 11:50 am | Reply
  11. Soung

I think you all are right. Woman should be respected. We all come from woman's body our mother. Therefore we boys should be kind to them, admire them, even though love them. We hurt the girls, and we hurt our mother. Everyone can be a good person, but can also be the bad one. It is up to ourselves. If someone are wondering where it's the justice, no doubt here ourselves. The peace is because of you. We are adults, so we all know what we are doing. It deponds on us.

March 23, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Reply
    • Green

Women often sell or send these girls to these markets to earn money or get them out of their homes. Girls are unwanted in most countries.

March 23, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Reply
  12. sara choe

Reblogged this on little & loud and commented:
    This breaks my heart and angers my soul.

March 23, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Reply
  13. DzWintr

Its a sad truth that this like so many other evils in the world will continue on even after the "fad" of this latest crusade against evil has passed us by. Some of you act like this is new, Some speak at length about things like this have only just been brought light when the reality is that they have always been and will always be so long as one individual can claim lordship over another. This is not ever going away ... human suffering is not ever going away ... Starvation is not ever going away ... focus on the small goods you can accomplish in your lives and the lives of others around you, don't be fools and take up the sword and shield of a fools crusade.

March 23, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Reply
  14. cony000

It is time to hunt these people down who hurt women and children and cruxify them.

March 23, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Reply
  15. Jdog

And it is all the fault of The United States.

March 23, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Reply
    • kenlewis11

Not quite, It is all men's fault. That is the message they are trying to deliver.

March 23, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Reply
  16. Sunflower

30 a DAY?!?!?!?! HORROR!!!!

March 23, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Reply
  17. lolita from rhode island

wow,,speechless, i wish somebody would do something. ...

March 23, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Reply
    • Green

Not going to happen. Many of the supporters of this abuse are the politicians themselves.

March 23, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Reply
  18. jjwood

Hasn't anyone ever seen the movie "Taken" it will open your eyes. Also I agree with what some here have said about this happening right here in the US. Think about the young girls who just dissapear on the way to school, or just wen to the shopping mall and no one knows what happened to them. The young women have it beaten into them physically and mentally that they are not going to be accepted by their families if they leave, or threatened with death. If a young girl has come from a family where she is already ruled by the authoritarian mother and father, she will only know what she is being told. The same goes for young men in the same situation.

March 23, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Reply
  19. Culturechange

Slow news day. Time to break out a single example of a tragedy and sensationalize it is a common everyday occurence. The politicians and police around the world dont act because they know that this is all sensationalism and feminist man-hating motiviated.

March 23, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Reply
    • Spelunker4Plato

The textbook definition of feminism is the idea that both genders should be equal. If there is a person that "hates" the other gender or thinks one gender should get a privilege over the other, then they are not a feminist. Read a book.

March 23, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Reply
    • StuporDave

The reason for official inaction is fear of revealing the true size & scope of this insane madness. The root of abuse & bullying is the same, curiously enough. The bully & the bullied both lack confidence, as do the abuser & the abused. Typically, a power struggle ensues, with (surprise) the physically stronger one winning. Just what is won is open to question. Putting the need to be in a relationship above the desire for personal maturity is a recipe for misery.

March 23, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Reply
    • A False Martyr

Your ignorance is astounding. Did you do reserach to come to that conclusion or simply decide it is so because you say so in your own little head. You need to open your eyes to the real world.

March 23, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Reply
  20. Jim Stanek

CNN CNN CNN. Is that how many times it takes to mention your name to flag a topic for moderation?

March 23, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Reply
  21. Cynthia

Is it just a coincidence, or do all of the abusers have Arab names or origins? Of course the Arabs started the slave trade too, but try to blame everything on others but that is a story for another time (also some stories in the Innocence Project). Do Arabs contribute ANYTHING? I'm being serious, what is one modern, decent thing they contribute. I'm beginning to believe that the Kahanists are correct.

March 23, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Reply
    • Dan I.

The Arabs contributed the concept of the number zero, extremely important. The numbers you use are ARAB numberals (or would you rather write in Roman numerals).

Also, the Arabs preserved most of Greek/Roman culture while the Catholic Church was busy burning it all as heresy during the Early Middle Ages. No real big mystery why the Renaissance started AFTER the Crusades. It's cause we got some of it back.

March 23, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Reply
  22. Name*Ayeni Chris Tunji

Good work! To cub trafficking, capital punishment for offenders will be the solution. If drug money can be traced, why not traffickers ill gotten money?

March 23, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Reply
  23. Green

CNN has no moderators.

March 23, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Reply
    • Sharp

Agree; Their robot is particularly $tupid where any intelligent discussion of a controversial topic like this is concerned.

March 24, 2012 at 12:48 am | Reply
    • dondijon

I can asure you there are moderatorws, due to some rather controversial poat I've made in comments, Iv'e beem moderated for the last three month's...

March 24, 2012 at 6:04 am | Reply
  24. Texas Pete

So how much was the price?

March 23, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Reply
  25. Greg

This where we should be waging war: against people who use and abuse the defenseless! This sickens me!

March 23, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Reply
    • Mark

Greg
      You are a 100% RIGHT.

March 23, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Reply
    • Zorris

16a13c3515cHiya, I am really glad I have found this itimroanfon. Today bloggers publish only about gossips and net and this is actually annoying. A good web site with exciting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this website, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can't find it. 187

April 8, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Reply
  26. Leucadia Bob

I just laugh every time I see people in America complaining about how rough they have it. Imagine dealing with this type of situation at such a young age, and it's more common over there than you think.

March 23, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Reply
  27. Alijan Sheikh

Good work! To cub trafficking, capital punishment for offenders will be the solution in my point of view. If drug money can be traced, why not traffickers ill gotten money?

March 23, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Reply
  28. Don

"..we've had nine years to reduce the numbers, then what else is standing in the way? Do the lives of poor women matter?"
    The shameful, disgraceful answer is that these women don't matter, at least not to most of us who live in in wealthy countries. They are invisible to us and for most part powerless. When they suffer, we can easily avoid seeing their pain. It easier to ignore the problem than be willing to face that pain and do something about it. That is why the numbers have not been reduced in nine years.

March 23, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Reply
  29. Spelunker4Plato

It's illegal. You want to put a dent in human trafficking and drug trafficking? F-ing LEGALIZE it. As long as it's against the law, it will be pushed underground on the black market where it can't be regulated and capitalistic business practices are "pure."

March 23, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Reply
    • pdxmum

Really...we should legalize human trafficking? I hope that was a simple misstatement on your part and you actually meant something else.

March 23, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Reply
    • BILL

It is legal in Nevada, probably the only state where "human traffickers" don't thrive.

March 23, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Reply
      • meemee

I went there twice as a young man in the early 709s. It was obvious that some weren't happy being there. Then I read about how the state tells poor women that this is the option and the employment dept pretty much forced them.

March 23, 2012 at 8:25 pm |
  30. Jim Stanek

@Green. Absolutely not. Just that people should get out and DO something about it, rather than just reading CNN and felling smug in their empathy and armchair advocacy. I personally donated $5000 to human traficking organizations last year, such as Loose Change to Loosen Chains. Take action in whatever way he can.

March 23, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Reply
  31. Jim Stanek

@Green. Absolutely not. Just that people should get out and DO something about it, rather than just reading CNN and felling smug in their empathy and armchair advocacy. I personally donated $5000 to human traficking organizations last year, such as Loose Change to Loosen Chains. Take action in whatever way you can.

March 23, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Reply
  32. fadeinlight

Just couldn't resist getting in that little dig against capitalism, eh?

Just once I'd like to see an actual special report from CNN that relies on facts rather than background music to sway people.

March 23, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Reply
  33. msk

We know and sort of understand the problem, but what are the solutions? How can one person help? What can one person do? Those of us who are blessed and privileged to lead sane, secure, peaceful, so-called normal lives, have no clue of what can be done. This film-maker is a person way beyond brave. Most of us would dare become this involved–but there surely must be something.

March 23, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Reply
  34. LVN

So, can we take energy like this and fix our own country before running off to save someone else's?

We cannot ever save them from themselves.

March 23, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Reply
    • Jay

Of course nothing like this would EVER happen in the US. Are you a complete retard or just pretending?

March 23, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Reply
  35. wolfpackbob

Devoting seven years of her life, talk about a "Profile in Courage"! Politics aside, Ms. Mimi Chakarova is one of those pinpoints of light in our world that there are far too few. And for her to try to champion a cause that is gargantuan in the scale of misery yet still relatively ignored by the world, she's a shining example of the virtues of hope and charity. Particularly hope, how does she keep her hope for change alive? One amazing woman.

March 23, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Reply
    • Mark

She is amazing! She is a hero of the Human Race. We should build a monument to her and others like her when this war is over.

March 23, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Reply
  36. Mark

I believe that Human Trafficking should be considered a crime against humanity. The law should be changed, so that the crime will be punishable by death within one year after trial. We need to find out where human traffickers congregate and send in undercover forces to assertain their numbers. Possible positive deterrents would be extreme starvation to offenders. Sensory deprivation is also a very useful form of punishment. The result will be their acquiescence. Their rights as citizens of any nation shall be revoked. We should collect all their earnings and money they have made and the assests of vehicles, homes, and posessions, for the cause of the fight against slavery. Police officers should be paid more, to ensure their loyalty.
    The job market in under-developed should be altered so that a legitimate company has a goverment backing similar the U.S. Better Business Bureau. We need to televise to the county the situation and show what the leaders expect from the people and give them fair warning if certain underground organizations are using said tactics to ensnare innocent civilians. Any individual found to have associations with traffickers would be considered enemy's of the state, their rights revoked, and civil penalties incured. All legitimate business establishments who are known to aid traffickers or to allow them the use of said establishments, should have all property seized, and the lose of the rights to own any business in the future.
    The final victory though will come from a change of heart by humanity as a whole. As you should know women are not slaves, and never should be. All individuals who advocate such doctrines, participate in such practices, or otherwise aid traffickers stand against Our Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ. The women they enslave are Daughters of God, and the Father will avenge them of the crimes commited against them. To be found guilty of such crimes is to destroy yourself. The outcome is exile from existence where a God presides. You'll find yourself in Outer Darkness, its a void, their isn't a God there. There are no planets, no stars, no wind, nothing to say you even exist. And there they shall remain for the eternities.

March 23, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Reply
    • ocenbrz

You were doing good until you got all "other worldly" on us. Only people who are going to punish these criminals are us. The victims don't have enough life left in them to wait on your Gods. Jesus, Mary and God, whomever, they all make up excuses for why some people have to suffer more than others. None of them are worth the paper they are written upon. There is no reason a child should have to suffer. No child is that bad to deserve so much abuse from anyone. Especially a "paying" customer.

It is already a crime to transport a person for that job across borders. We have to remember too that males are facing the same situations as females. The only advantage they have over women is that they do not bear children and their own children are very rarely used against them to keep them in the business. It has been done under hostage situations but still rare.

Those who do testify against traffickers have to be put into the witness protection program. Some people have to do this even against their own parents or spouses. Crazy world we live in. But the people you are referring to don't care about any Gods. Especially the ones you can pray to for forgiveness on your death bed. If anything those sort of Gods are the reason why they keep hurting others. They have a savior in their pockets. Just ask King David? Great role model for kids. Not.

In other Countries it is really hard for the US to have much jurisdiction over them. it would be nice if it wasn't Americans committing these crimes but we know they are. We have to do a much better job at reaching those at risk kids here. Whose home lives are such nightmares. These kids are pushed into or sold into these rings for money. When we start caring more, so too will law enforcement. They do not like arresting these creeps over and over again because laws are too weak. One of her victims pointed out how crooked judges let pimps off for bribes. No wonder the kids are scared. Than read posts here and ask yourself, how many people can they really trust? Some but they need to be pushed in the right direction.

March 24, 2012 at 4:10 am | Reply
  37. Jason

The strong does as they want and the weak do as they must.

March 23, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Reply
    • ocenbrz

That may be true in some cases. In time, people find their inner strength and find a way out of their struggles. It is how people define the word, "must", that we sometimes disagree. I do agree that we must do more to educate young people so that they find the strength they need to stand up to those who would oppress them. It works. I have seen this happen many times in my lifetime. Criminals do get punished and the victims, are freed. They go on to live happier lives. Slave no more. Hope is nice but making life better is possible for all of us who want to do good in this world.

March 24, 2012 at 5:22 am | Reply
  38. Southie

Important story, but here's the thing. Shouldn't a journalist, or contributor, be required to be a good writer? The injustice in the journalism is the weak, poor, lame writing. One minute she's talking in the first person, the next minute she's writing in the third person but it's really herself, her own voice, writing, "makes you want to never leave your house again. But you can't hide. You've promised too many people to carry on. You've connected the dots for a decade. You can break it down into the most basic elements: supply and demand."

Who's you? YOU? Then say I for crying out loud! Ugh! Tell me the story with compelling prose, or else hire a ghostwriter to convert into readable journalism.

The fact she's gone in there and gathered stories is important, but dear God, learn to write or get someone else to do it!

March 23, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Reply
    • wolfpackbob

You may be the someone who could edit (and enhance) her message?

March 23, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Reply
  39. Speedie

So, what was her price? She never did say.

March 23, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Reply
  40. Corin Keiler-Lloyd

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Mimi Chakarova.

This is a lie. Many men and women agree with her. To pretend otherwise is to condone evil.

March 23, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Reply
  41. Mark

I have a great idea, Lets create a virus that will kills the male host and not the female. Then infect every brothel on Earth at once. Sounds great huh. Or maybe just for kicks. How bout a virus that turns your skin blue. Imagine it. They have a clue how they got. Just not sure where. I am laughing very hard right now. Oops. I dropped my drink on the floor. Gotta go.

March 23, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Reply
  42. TexMan

Yeah right. It is the worlds oldest profession. And, then you add facilitators (modern day Republicans who advocate free enterprise Ie ... economic pi mps) and this is what you get.

March 23, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Reply
  43. Mr Duckworth

Just like one of the abused girls who been there said: "This is Pure Evil". Only the Blessed Mother and Jesus Christ can stop and destroy Evil. Pray the Rosary. May God bless and protect all those who stand up to this horrible industry and the people profiting and causing it.

March 23, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Reply
  44. Mel

As long as there are johns there will be pimps. Curious these countries are mostly Christian and Islam...why is that?
    Hey john use yer f@#$%%in hand, its cheaper and doesn't spread disease and it doesn't exploit, hurt or abuse anybody. How can these johns sleep at night and have a clear conscious the next day...And the pimps..This is what the human element can become....Don't blame it on capitalism blame it on greed....

March 23, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Reply
  45. carly

This is so incredibly terrifying for these women. I can't imagine living in constant fear like this! And your body not even belonging to you.... Heartbreaking. How does this still go on today? My heart aches for these poor women who are just looking, praying for a better, safer life. What a hopeless feeling....
    To those working to end human trafficking and exposing it for the evil that it is, thank you. Thank you for educating people, for caring and for being an advocate to people without the ability to speak for themselves. God bless you for your passion to make a difference.

March 23, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Reply
  46. jim

Who cares. If it isnt happening to you forget about it and move on. Stop complaining and worrying about things YOU cant change or stop simple as that. Its those womens fault for letting this happen to them I have no pity for them

March 23, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Reply
    • Ryan L

Couldn't agree more. Wake up and smell the coffee people most of these women are nothing more than a dumpster as it is a least there getting paid for are trash!

March 23, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Reply
      • Gini Denninger

Jim & Ryan, you both are pathetic small minded losers. You are so narrow minded and cold. Glad that you are a minority in this world. I think you both are the type that abuse women if given the opportunity and for all we know, you have been over there in one or more of those countries taking advantage of the situation. Shame on your cold hearts.

March 24, 2012 at 12:50 am |
  47. Michael

Vietnam 1966 Us military move into small city. 600 ppl, one 12 yrs age line of at least 50 GIs waiting to pay 2 dollars for turn. Today outside many US post GIs line up tn pay 20 to 30 , counts on girls age and looks, 15 and above legal but no one ask. Why do men. and women also purchase, because they want to.

March 23, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Reply
    • ocenbrz

You are saying no one wants over 15? Are they charging them less for the younger girls? I'm sure they are being told too, that those girls are less likely to either object to their requests, less likely to be infected, insist on condoms and other reasons best not to post here. Not much truth in all of this. Especially when you make a note of how many "customers" are pushed upon these girls at any given time. No mater what, it is a rotten way to make a living and to do to another human being. Apparently, we need to reward those willing to turn in these pimps. Some '"johns" might take the money out of guilt or pity for a young teen.

It can't be true in all cases either when we are reading articles of how pimps are using drugs to make the girls look older to make a dollar. You are right though. We are not turning in enough of these pimps. Really pimps should be turning in pimps who are recruiting underage girls. Anyone recruiting under 21 should be locked up. Customers will use what is made available to them. Don't lie. The pimps want them young because they are easier to control and rip off.

March 24, 2012 at 1:50 am | Reply
  48. Debbie

Wow, Jeff, I really feel sorry for you because of your non-belief. Surely you must realize there is something there which is greater than ourselves. I not only believe it, I know it. But we might as well drop the religious discussion now, because I'm not going to change your mind, and you definitely won't change my mind. God is real, and He allowed you to wake up this morning.

March 23, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Reply
    • ocenbrz

As you say, nothing will change your ideas about God. I know, a lot of people need a martyr to pay for their screw ups in the world. I just get really annoyed that anyone believes any of these God's care one bit for the misery of these children. They created this world, these people who behave so cruelly towards each other.

Prayer has not saved one child from the hands of an abuser. But people have and the ones who do, deserve the credit so many of you shower on your Gods. You give all of your money to God. And the other people? Give it all to the pimps. Very few are giving it to the people who really need your charity.

March 24, 2012 at 1:57 am | Reply
  49. cali

Governments and Law Enforcement will throw a bone to the cause every now and then and make it look like they're cracking down on it, but they put far more money into the drug war, SOPA/PIPA, and anything else where they can bring in goods and profit. Not to mention, it's extremely hard to prosecute and crack down on this when the victims are too fearful to prosecute/testify.

March 23, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Reply
  50. Denton

The real reason she is so upset is because her price was valued so low

March 23, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Reply
    • Gini Denninger

Grow up

March 24, 2012 at 12:52 am | Reply
    • ocenbrz

And she has always been out of your price range hasn't she? Thank goodness for the internet, eh? Bitterness over not getting what you think you deserve is such a waste. Time better spent becoming someone, that someone else might feel is worth their time to spend with instead.

March 24, 2012 at 1:37 am | Reply
  51. Texas Panties

That young Mimi woman is so very Nice and even Precious. I can see that I am in love with her.

March 23, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Reply
  52. kalinka

Mimi Chakarova did not pretend to be bulgarian, she is. Did you thought that turks won't know the difference and stop portraying the men that you met as monsters. Turkey "exports" so called Natasha's on a regular bases, the Tatyana's goes one way and return from another way. So what else you are suggesting to do in order to deal fear with the Natasha's flooding TR.?! I am not justifing the man behaviour, that's not my point. Do not like turks, do not go there, simple as this. And you are making your debut on the price of others, bay Ganyo's way.

March 24, 2012 at 12:02 am | Reply
  53. mmi16

Follow the GOP principles – Preach Abstinance

March 24, 2012 at 12:37 am | Reply
  54. Sharp

How can anyone comment on $ex trafficking reasonably if your $tupid robot won't allow the word $ex to be used?

March 24, 2012 at 12:39 am | Reply
  55. Potato

Ima banana

March 24, 2012 at 12:39 am | Reply
  56. Sharp

I GIVE UP. ARE YOU TRYING TO HAVE A ONE SIDED DISCUSSION DELIBERATELY?

March 24, 2012 at 12:42 am | Reply
    • Rena

Hi there! I know this is somewhat off-topic but I had to ask. Does mnaaging a well-established blog like yours require a massive amount work? I am brand new to running a blog but I do write in my diary daily. I'd like to start a blog so I will be able to share my own experience and feelings online. Please let me know if you have any kind of ideas or tips for new aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!

July 1, 2012 at 10:29 am | Reply
  57. Name*vero

Too sad!

March 24, 2012 at 1:20 am | Reply
  58. Aunt Eshter

I say she's worth about tree-fiddy.

Tree-fiddy.

March 24, 2012 at 1:30 am | Reply
  59. Michael

Bachelor party for first of three sons, strip bar was the site, Next morning last words of I as father of sons, all were present, Remember those women last night? Well you will all be married and have children and some may be girls, would you want one of them on that stage? Well then you damn well make sure you give them the kind of lives that will never put them in a position that is the only one they have. If you dont then matter how old you are your Mother and I eacg slap you up side your head. Wife passed on now but before she left she kmew none of her Grand Daugters would. And that message was passed to Grandsons. The best way to fight this crime againts humanity. for that is what it is, by empowering both male and females of our own to respect each other and never be afraid to speak up when they see wrongs againts any one.

March 24, 2012 at 1:37 am | Reply
  60. glj

I agree we need to stop this. Years ago I was stationed in Asia and was told some of the girls were traded to brothels to pay their families debts. Once I had daughters it really hit me. I could never imagine 'selling' one of my daughters to pay my debts. I understand in some countries women are treated differently than men. I also understand the families want male children to work the farms. But to give up your daughter to pay your debts or to give up you daughter to keep from paying a dowry when she marries - unthinkable.

March 24, 2012 at 1:43 am | Reply
  61. Mike Dubois

The women are here to serve us. It is HIS will.

March 24, 2012 at 2:20 am | Reply
  62. boogie man

nothing is better or sweeter then a young girl of 11. it will never be stopped. the more you make it less availible the more you will have desperate measures in obtaining it. This was told to me by a pediphile.

March 24, 2012 at 2:23 am | Reply
    • ocenbrz

And you post it here? Just remember, your posts can be traced. That is your opinion and a very sick one. Karma is a b$^ch and when we catch you? All the abuse heaped upon you, we know you earned.

March 24, 2012 at 3:05 am | Reply
  63. Michael

BOTS do not know that h**e**ll is a word and many say we are geading there in a hand basket, well if they would take a look around they might see those of us who are rowing jike H**e**ll in the opposite direction and get off their butts and lend us a hand.

March 24, 2012 at 2:25 am | Reply
  64. Cinic

Please, share a way one can help.
    This needs to stop.

March 24, 2012 at 2:57 am | Reply
  65. Michael

Think it is bad today? A hero of 1492 wrote of profiting of himself and his officers by the sale of young native females and made special note that 9 year olds brought the highest price. As for religion being the answer, the Abramhic religion derivatives are a great reason why mysogony is so prevalent in society today. Not ever been quite able to figure out why, could be that men had bigger muscles and spent so little time using brains while deteloping from ape to man that they ended up trying to make their smallest muscle seem bigger than it was.

March 24, 2012 at 3:11 am | Reply
  66. M. m

YUSUF is a Muslim name
    Islam is the religion of Mohammad.
    Women get top treatment In Islam. Becuase Mohammad set the example by marrying a 6 yr girl and forcing himself onto a jewish girl called Safiya after he killed her relatives, and he forced himself onto his slave girl named Mariya the Coptic.

March 24, 2012 at 5:09 am | Reply
  67. Brendan

To stop this terrible crime, you need the justice system to be a lot tougher. Recently, a very abusive Toronto pimp received only two years in prison. I I were a judge, I'd give two years to the bank robber and life to the sociopathic pimp, who are nothing but parasites.

March 24, 2012 at 8:04 am | Reply
  68. don

maybe if women were not so awful to their men, men would not buy women who do not belong to them.

March 24, 2012 at 8:23 am | Reply
  69. Carolyn

All these statements of indignation are so phony. What good does hollow desktop activism do ? Wow, what a good moral person you people are for saying this is an outrage. I am so sure that will change everything, won;'t it! It's like every single KONY 2012 idiost who wants to feel better about themselves accomplishes by watching a video. Watching a video or posting a comment does not make you informed. It makes you just as lazy as before especially if all you do is comment on CNN.

If you are outraged, hit the streets and do something about it. If you are not willing to do that, please be quiet and keep your fake, sanctimonious BS for your peers who are just as insincere.

March 24, 2012 at 8:27 am | Reply
  70. ComeBreakMe

Yes, this is horrible. Yes, we can all sit here and be good little boys and girls and condemn these practices, expressing our desire for them to stop. The sad truth of it all is, it can be stopped. Unfortunately, there are so many sick individuals out there willing to subject women to this sort of torture just to make a few bucks, that even if you shut down an operation, another one will just as quickly spring up in its place.

I'm not saying we should all just give up and stop bringing awareness to the situation. We should continue to save as many of these girl's lives as possible. Even if the attention given by this article is only enough to save one life, it's worth it.

Still, some of you need to stop thinking we live in some fantasy land by believing that this practice can be eliminated. We need to create a better world for our children? Oh please... Just take a look around at our lawmakers, and businessman, the people who are suppose lead by example with strong codes of morality. Now...tell me how this issue is ever going to be stopped? This practice has always existed, and will continue existing long after we are all dead. And that's a testament to how pathetic the human race is.

March 24, 2012 at 8:44 am | Reply
  71. IvoryTowerScientist

There is absolutely only one way to end these abuses, but people will not support it. Legalize noncoercive pros ti tution. Give women the power to do what they want with their own bodies in a safe environment. Illegal pros ti tution enables human trafficking. Legal pros ti tution gives women protection from the law, not a pi mp. Legal pros ti tution gives women the right to say no. Legal pros ti tution enables law enforcement to make sure no one is a slave. Is there any other way? I don't think there is.

March 24, 2012 at 8:49 am | Reply
  72. Jesus Is Lord

Jesus is the answer. He is the ONLY way to the Father in Heaven. Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, repent, obey and be saved!

March 24, 2012 at 9:20 am | Reply
  73. a guy

This has to be the absolute worst form of abuse of women imaginable. Religious groups seem to have no interest since they are male dominated and hope to keep it that way. Saddest of all is the GOP viewpoint which denigrates women from the get go. If they prevail expect no help at all from that end.

March 24, 2012 at 10:01 am | Reply
  74. stupified

Can you believe the ****** lawyers required CNN to post "The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Mimi Chakarova"?!! Did CNN even bother to read this article? The BUSINESS of the NEWS is just as insidious as the topic of this article.

March 24, 2012 at 10:22 am | Reply
  75. thaddeus buttmunch

how EZ to be on the side of the Angels. The problem is that in USA unlike the Red Light zones of Europe and Australia the Oldest Profession is illegal ergot underground. If they were legal and licensed foreign trafficiking would be less of a problem although I DO find Korean Masseueses to be irresistable

March 24, 2012 at 10:59 am | Reply
  76. Jason

The pimps should have minimum sentences to deter men from doing it, no bribing public officials to avoid long sentences, prove they are a paimp they get 5 years minimum and always held to stop them from attacking the women or worse.

It would be nice if the women turned on them, they would definatly fall into the mental abuse and temporary insanity if they did and should walk, deservidly so, when i pimp is running several women the numbers alone should help the women to take them on and end their pimping days.

Its fear keeps them there and not telling a john to kep driving and then run, some are purposly made pregnant to keep them there so the pimp has their kid if they run.....i hope the women get free and the pimp get to go swimming face down.

March 24, 2012 at 11:42 am | Reply
    • Yesenia

Fantastic blog you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any conimmuty forums that cover the same topics talked about in this article? I'd really like to be a part of group where I can get feedback from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

July 3, 2012 at 12:48 am | Reply
  77. Stella

I think everyone can agree this is a horrid situation and a crime, so why not arrest the pimps? Clearly they're known; this woman has one on film and I'm sure a sting would easily reveal more. She mentions in the article that the local police are paid off but they can't all be, just some. What about Interpol? The FBI? This is not unfixable if a real effort was made.

March 24, 2012 at 11:45 am | Reply
  78. Mother of five Daughters

No amount of laws will destroy this slavery. Why? Because even the police officers, judges, and politicians rape these slaves for money. The truth is that there are too many evil people in the world who do not value the lives of others at all. Even if you armed every single woman in the world you would still see evil women enslaving their daughters, sisters, nieces and cousins – all to be raped for profit. The rapists are equally culpable. I don't think people – especially Americans – realize just how many men are willing participants in this slavery – or haven't participated in the evil as of yet simply because they haven't had the opportunity. And, I don't think people understand just how many evil women would willingly sell their daughters into slavery to be raped repeatedly every day.

March 24, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Reply
  79. C.S.

Contrast this story with life in New York City, where women run the show and call the shots 100% as far as dating, intimacy and marriage (don't believe me? ask a New York woman), and you'll see (or maybe you won't be able to see) at the other extreme women can be just as brutal to men as men are to women.

March 24, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Reply
  80. mika Wright

Im soooooooo sorry 4 the peoples who are victimized in human trafficking

March 24, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Reply
  81. optiofoni

Initially finding the audio to be seriously underwhelming-worse than the $230 Solo HD, which we previously noted has a tendency to render music with a muddle, performance that might have been acceptable for $130, but not for $230 or $330. Left on its default volume settings, Beats Wireless actually sounds worse than Solo HD, a level of performance that would have relegated it to a low C rating, possibly worse. If you dont take the time to fix this issue, youll probably be disappointed with how unimpressive these beats by dre headphones sound right out of the box.This problem is due to Beats Wirelesss lack of support for volume mirroring with iOS devicesas a result, you initially need to adjust the headphones volume level independently, rather than with the on-screen slider or volume buttons on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod, then bear in mind that any volume adjustments you make on the headphones are going to diminish the quality of the iOS devices audio signal. at the default setting, which appears to be around 50% of the headphones maximum, most if not all of the treble disappears from songs, so the audio sounds incredibly flat-even flatter than the Beats Solo HD, preserving all of the muddle and flat wall of sound presentation without even the occasional high to pop in your ears. But when beats Wireless is turned up to its maximum, and the iOS device is adjusted to around 40% of its peak volume for safe listening, the sound quality becomes considerably betterwhile Beats Wireless.
    beats diddy

March 28, 2012 at 3:43 am | Reply
  82. q.a.abro

THE WORLD has been over flowing with whims and fads since inception.What was good in the past is bad today and what is good today could turn bad tomorrow.This world has never been absolutely good or bad.The vice and virtue have existed and will co exist side by side.The world cannot see peace,tranquility,emancipation and brotherhood until and unless all forms of private property are abolished and people are allowed freedom of speech and beliefs.

March 28, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Reply
  83. Floyd

I like to comment without someone knowing my email so i use someone else email.
    30 guys a day? How can any woman take 30 guys a day?

March 28, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Reply
  84. flowermissing

"FINISH YOUR ALBUM/MIXTAPE! LAST DAY TO GET ALL THE BEATS FOR $19.99 VOTED BEST BEAT PACKAGE ONLINE! RAP RnB POP INSTRUMENTAS @ 7DOLLABEATS(.)COM 7DOLLABEATS(dot)COM

March 29, 2012 at 9:00 am | Reply
  85. Avser Bastian

VIOLENT WORLD PSYCHIATRY-PSYCHOLOGY REVEALED(mindless mkultra crimes performed by police and psychiatrists/psychologists)

USE OF MKULTRA + HUNGER GAMES TODAY....Use of psychology/psychiatry for mass population or ethnic cleansing as well as crimes to which we witness daily on behalf of Zionism/communism/liberalism.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpqc0u_part-80 EXACTLY HOW ETHNIC CLEANSING IS TAKING PLACE AGAINST NON SLAVS(German etc) THROUGHOUT EASTERN EUROPE SINCE WWII + REAL 911 REVEALED !!!

TRUTH ABOUT RUSSIAN COMMUNIST APPARATCHIK ALIKE GANGSTER AND TRAITOR DAVID DUKE OR 70 YEARS OLD US GOVERNMENT OBAMA(TERRORIST) NEWS

Related to WHITES ARE NOT WELCOME IN AMERICA ANY LONGER !!! http://www.youtube.com/user/BostjanAvsec OBAMA'S HEALTH CARE RECORDED LIVE IN 2009 !!! EXILING WHITES(US citizens) WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE AND IMPORTING NON WHITES IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENTS FREE !!

For fast updates use http://www.facebook.com/people/Loki-Nagrind/100001962176474

REMINDER...MY YOUTUBE ACCOUNT WAS HIJACKED(March 07th, 2012) BY US GOVERNMENT WHILE PRIMARY E-MAIL AS WELL AS BLOGS WERE ALL SHUT DOWN FOR THE SAKE OF CENSORSHIP REGARDING GENOCIDE AGAINST ME PERSONALLY THAT INVOLVED ABDUCTIONS / MK-ULTRA BRAINWASHING / FORCED BRAIN ELECTRODE – CHIP IMPLANTS / HUMAN EXPERIMENTATION / BLACKLISTING / FORCEFUL UNEMPLOYMENT AND ASSASSINATIONS !!! ALL AGAINST WHITE(under "NAZI" lie) CIVILIAN POPULATION TODAY IN 2011/2012 ACROSS THE EUROPE AND NORTHERN AMERICA !!!

+(plus)

IF THEY BRAINWASH YOU WITH LIES ON HOW ELECTING OBAMA WOULD HELP TEA PARTY(there is already over one hundred million of so called minorities in US alone while you are everything, but treated as humans), PLEASE ASK YOURSELF WHAT ARE YOUR CHANCES OF SURVIVAL ONCE OBAMA IS AGAIN SELF-ELECTED(see video 77) & SINCE NEW LAW IS TAKING GUNS FROM YOU ALREADY TODAY(stop the violent world of psychiatry or lies – NOW) !!!

April 5, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Reply
    • Faiyaz

Hi there! This kind of posting could not be puesilhbd any better! Here post reminds me of my previous room mate! I adore finding sites of which view the valuation on providing a good source for nothing. In truth the blogging is releasing its wings quickly. Your formulate is a great one than it. I was studying some of your posts on this website and i also conceive this site is actually informative.

July 1, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Reply
  86. Melissa

16a13735105I am not sure the place you're getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend a while stuiydng much more or understanding more. Thank you for magnificent info I was looking for this info for my mission. 195

April 9, 2012 at 1:27 am | Reply
  87. ThatsRightIsaidit

I find this whole section of CNN to be shallow and pedantic.

April 17, 2012 at 10:30 am | Reply
  88. Dr. Farjana Khan

May 5, 2012

Dear Community Leader,

It is a pleasure to write to such an influential leader. I appreciate all your hard work. I am writing to you to due to a crucial issue that needs more attention. I would greatly appreciate it if you can talk about or have me come on your show to discuss a crucial underrepresented but crucial topic. There is abuse that exists by in-laws and honor killing. This is where the in-laws punish their daughter in law for behaving "inappropriately" either emotionally or physically...and some women stay for the children or societal pressure. Honor killing is when a person hurts you due to behaving inappropriately and ruining family honor. The cycle of violence doesn’t only exist with a partner, but with his/her extended family as well. With recent incidents where a family killed their own daughters due to the fact that they ruined their honor by wearing inappropriate clothes and having an opinion
    Another incident occurred where a man partnered up with his mistress and killed his own wife leaving children without a mother. His mother also abused that same girl many times in the marriage locking her in the basement with a wild dog as a form of punishment when she “misbehaved”. That girl did not leave the marriage because of her children and due to societal pressure (i.e. “What will people say?”)
    IN-LAW ABUSE/HONOR KILLING/ABUSE is now becoming more evident in the media, but has existed for many generations…where the new daughter in-law is continuously abused if she acts “inappropriately” WE ARE SO FOCUSED ON ACID ATTACKS, RACISM, and ECONOMICAL ISSUES, BUT THERE IS A SILENT CRIME THAT IS GOING ON FOR GENERATIONS. A law has to be passed to STOP this abuse.
    In the words of Cheslear (2010), “there recently was 172 incidents and 230 honor-killing victims. The information was obtained from the English-language media around the world with one exception. There were 100 victims murdered for honor in the West, including 33 in North America and 67 in Europe. There were 130 additional victims in the Muslim world. Most of the perpetrators were Muslims, as were their victims, and most of the victims were women.
    Between 1989 and 2009, honor killings also escalated over time in a statistically significant way. Worldwide, the majority of victims were women; a mere 7 percent were men. In the West, 76 individuals or groups of multiple perpetrators killed one hundred people. Of these perpetrators, 37 percent came from Pakistan; 17 percent were of Iraqi origin while Turks and Afghans made up 12 and 11 percent, respectively.
    Immigration, law enforcement, and religious authorities must all be included in education, prevention, and prosecution efforts in the matter of honor killings. In addition, shelters for battered Muslim girls and women should be established and multilingual staff appropriately trained in the facts about honor killings. For example, young Muslim girls are frequently lured back home by their mothers. When a shelter resident receives such a phone call, the staff must immediately go on high alert. The equivalent of a federal witness protection program for the intended targets of honor killings should be created; England has already established such a program. Extended safe surrogate family networks must be created to replace existing family networks.
    In addition, clear government warnings must be issued to Muslim, Sikh, and Hindu immigrants and citizens: Honor killings must be prosecuted in the West, and perpetrators, accomplices, and enablers must all be prosecuted. Participating families should be publicly shamed. Criminals must be deported after they have served their sentences.”
    I request that we provide help for victims suffering from this silent crime. There is no reason women subjected to honor abuse and abuse by in-laws. Please bring this issue on your show and raise awareness to help such victims. Please use references made in this email and bring me to the show as a resource to help such victims. I hope you will follow up with this new awareness.
    The following are my credentials:
    Farjana Khan, Ph.D’s educational and professional achievements include a doctorate degree in clinical psychology; a master’s degree from New York University; and a Life Coach certification. I am the author of three published books: Yippee! Ramadan is Over, It’s Eid, Yippee, It’s Ramadan! and School Home Communication and Reading Achievement in Kindergarten Children. Acknowledgement of my book is in the School Library Journal. I have over 10 years of experience in the educational field; have made appearances on radio talk shows regarding current event issues; developed a protocol to help increase reading achievement in schools; and helped promote child abuse preventive measures in schools. Lastly, I’ve made television appearances regarding other educational issues.
    Reference:

Chesler, P. (2010). Worldwide trends in honor killings. Middle Eastern Quarterly, 17(2), 3-11.

Respectfully,

Farjana Khan, Ph.D.

May 5, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Reply
  89. john wiede

google "finders" if you want to learn about slavery

May 8, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Reply
  90. name

I never read comments here for obvious reasons

June 2, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Reply
  91. FilmMaking Insider Tips

FilmMaking Insider Tips
    This is probably what you tell yourself. Do you watch films with more than a casual eye? You probably want to know how they were able to get perfect lighting in your favorite scene, or how to write a professional screenplay. Do you watch the Actor’s Studio and hang on every word they say? Go To: http://is.gd/4OTQzL

June 21, 2013 at 8:28 am | Reply
  92. jobcentre plus telephone number income support

Good post. I learn one thing more difficult on different blogs everyday. It can always be stimulating to read content from different writers and apply a little bit something from their store. I’d want to make use of some with the content on my weblog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link on your internet blog. Thanks for sharing.

July 23, 2013 at 9:05 am | Reply
  93. NamdoNGoach

よって人を検索 もはやあなたのWeb​​ページを見てください サングラス うことです。

ことを知って、次のことが理にかなってい グッチ 2つ折り財布 テップです 最新情報。 あなたは、真の専門家によって処理され プラダ therもののタイプをドキドキチョッピングリズムを続けること コーチポーチ が中学校に持ち込まれました。

それは他人の世話の値を メンズ トングサンダル 、最高のイスタンブールのホテルを選ぶことは、あなたの選択肢をっているかのようにロシアの結婚式は、通常行われているとして、

November 27, 2013 at 11:34 pm | Reply
  94. mp

*The Real Men Don't Buy Girls Campain (Demi and Ashton Foundation), Unearthedpictures.org, Stopdemand.org

March 23, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Reply
  95. Jim Stanek

Right on, well said. CNN is not the real world, and the "news" here is really more designed as "entertainment" and "white noise" than anything else.

It's ironic that most CNN articles or opinions about "issues" spend half a page screaming at people to "care" and telling us that we "SHOULD" be angry, or "SHOULD" care, rather than telling us how to make a tangible difference in preventing these issues from reoccurring.

The majority people who spend time reading these articles are most likely sitting at their computers and just want to be passively entertained. Good job at creating spectacle after spectacle out of the tragedies of the world.

I will leave you with this quote, from the Three-Penny Opera:

"What keeps mankind alive? The fact that millions are daily tortured, stifled, punished, silenced and oppressed. Mankind must keep alive, thanks to its brilliance, in keeping its humanity repressed.
    And for once, we must try hard to shriek the facts:
    Manking is kept alive by bestial acts!"

March 23, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Reply
  96. kenlewis11

What you are describing is shock appeal journalism.

March 23, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Reply
  97. Tom Gnoonan

Well said Jim. I second that.

"You gentlemen who think you have an issue
    To tell the world the horrors that you have seen
    Should first sort out the basic fact your missing:
    "Ideals" and "issues" show us all you're "green."
    But first ensure that those who are now starving
    Get proper helpings when we all start carving.

What keeps mankind alive?!"

March 23, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Reply
  98. Southie

And these readers are somehow different than print newspaper readers wanting to be "entertained" by news-gossip and more?

March 23, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Reply
  99. ocenbrz

The "Pessimist" guide to life, right? I just want to know what is going on. I don't read the news for entertainment. That is just some of us I suppose. However if we depended entirely on heinous acts for survival? We'd already be extinct.

Most of us though do not get the truth about life as children. Just so we can be exploited by our caretakers. Often under the guise of protecting a child from evil. When really, it is the reason why evil is so rampant in our society. If we really wanted to make life safe for children from adults, children would have to vote. Here is just a small example of what adults really want children for. As long as people refuse to do something about it? We are all part of the problem.

I know, we spend so much time and money just trying to deal with the low dealings of adults. Add children into the equation and we have even more problems. So easy to see children as ungrateful. We can't fix the ethics of the human race. What we can do, is educate our children in how to get help from all forms of abuse. Which would also mean you just can't beat up your kids and get away with it. That alone is one thing a lot of parents really seem to enjoy. No matter how much they say otherwise. Can't beat up a person who does you wrong but your own child? No problem. Think about it. Sure, kids lie. But creating jobs to intervene when families are in trouble verses having that kid terrorize you or your loved ones because you didn't care? Cost wise? Can't be that much of a difference.

March 24, 2012 at 1:06 am | Reply
  100. tophe

It's not by bestial acts humanity survives, it's by bestial acts beasts survive. It's DESPITE bestial acts that humanity survives. It's is these acts however that define one a human or a beast. If one behaves as a beast, they probably are and should be treated as such. If one shows humanity, well then, they are most probably human and should treat beasts like beasts. I agree with you Jim on CNN's circus like reporting and those that follow it. I don't think though, that humanity has ever benefit from torturing others among it.

March 24, 2012 at 2:12 am | Reply
  101. kenlewis11

Demi doesn't care about helping or protecting the women. She just hates men and that is why her whole campaign is about criminalizing only the men.

March 23, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Reply
  102. Carolyn

PLease tell me. What does this campaign actually do. It tells us all something bad exists and then it does nothing to solve it. Problems do not get solved just because you watch a viral ad. I really with you Gen Whine idiots would get a clue. Watching videos does not change the world. Raising awareness does not change the world. Taking action changes the world. Now go back to your angry birds game. I am sure there will be another do-gooder story for you all to feel better about yourselves with shortly.

March 24, 2012 at 8:29 am | Reply
  103. MrDifficult

Real men have vans and candy.

March 24, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Reply
  104. Green

So you are saying that abuse doesn't occur? Or that women deserve it?

March 23, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Reply
  105. Irina

How stupid of you to try to discredit good acts.

March 23, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Reply
  106. Your head is in the sand, or your pocket.

News Flash: It usually is men that are trafficking, beating, and pimping women. How many women do you see or hear of committing such acts? Wow, you're dumb.

March 23, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Reply
  107. MrDifficult

One of the many names for them is "madame". Just because men are the customers doesn't mean women are above being the agents.

March 24, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Reply
  108. ThatsRightIsaidit

I'm a man and I beat myself daily. Yup.

April 17, 2012 at 10:32 am | Reply