February 29th, 2012

Fighting sex trafficking in hotels, one room at a time

Kimberly Ritter could not believe what she was seeing.

Girls wearing almost nothing at all, suggesting all sorts of sexual acts, listed on page after page of Backpage.com's escorts section. When she looked closer at the photos, she noticed something eerie.

She could recognize the rooms.

Ritter is a meeting planner at Nix Conference and Meeting Management of St. Louis. She and her co-workers work with 500 hotels around the world and visit about 50 properties annually. She can identify many hotel chains used in escort ads by their comforters, bathroom sinks, air conditioning units and door locks. Sometimes, she can also identify a specific property.

Meet Kimberly Ritter, sex trafficking sleuth.

Read more of the story

Topics: Solutions

1. Les Brocklin

Uh, consenting adults, privacy - a host of other issues, including busybodyism.

Nothing more constructive to do with your time, Kimberly?

February 29, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Reply
    • Randy

Agreed.

March 5, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Reply
    • Agreeathon

Just go to Village Voice for a real look at the manufactured "crisis". This is about independent women working for themselves outside the street or pimps. Funny how Feminism crumbles when women want to do something other than what fits with their PC agenda.

March 14, 2012 at 2:16 am | Reply
    • Amex

16a13735f2I like the valuable info you vrpoide in your articles. Ie28099ll bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently. I am quite sure Ie28099ll learn many new stuff right here! Good luck for the next! 18d

April 8, 2012 at 8:40 am | Reply
  2. DamianCHRISTOPHERS

Privacy would be nice. I've had all my online accounts taken from me under the arm of abuse. I am in the pursuit of happiness. I can't believe I just spelled that correctly. All of our social networks have allowed their friends of friends and anyone in-between to access and change passwords. I have no one to blame but myself for using the tools in front of me. Art comes in many forms, not all of them steal or borrow. Teach me to pee. I have spent the majority of the last decade on one idea in particular and another indirectly. Now having a week or two away from abusive people

March 1, 2012 at 5:08 am | Reply
    • mizz23

Step away from the crack pipe please...

March 9, 2012 at 3:44 am | Reply
    • HPN

What does that have to do with anything in the article

March 12, 2012 at 7:44 am | Reply
    • Ezequiel

Excellent post at e7ae€e7bd‘e58f‘e5b8ƒe2€œe6Œ‡e9˜…e2€9defbcŒe6‰“e9€a0e4b8ade5›bde7‰ˆZite | e6Œ‡e9˜…e5ae˜e6–b9BLOG. I was checking countniously this blog and I am impressed! Very useful information specifically the last part I care for such information much. I was seeking this certain information for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

July 1, 2012 at 8:09 am | Reply
  3. DamianCHRISTOPHERS

I have realized that if I put the two together there's a strong possibility that I could be another dead pop tart. If someone intended to save my life! I know this allmost killed me. You can't help someone by holding them back. However I feel most greatful to have life over death.

March 1, 2012 at 5:19 am | Reply
  4. Rina Mann

Thank you Kimberly, and others like you, for taking the time to put this in motion!

March 2, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Reply
  5. Fabio Maldonado

Be prepared

March 3, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Reply
  6. Brian Clarke Canadian

March 7, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Reply
  7. PONKY JACKY FROM NEPTUNE

WORLDS BASIC PROBLEM IS TOO MUCH CROWDED POPULATION ( 7 BILLION ) CROWDED POPULATION
    IS THE REASON OF WARS POVERTY AND ACCIDENTS. WE WANT MONEY AND HAVE FUN.
    FOR ISRAELS AND RUSSIAS BEST BENEFIT THE NUCLEAR ENERGY CENTRAL SHOULD BE CONSTRUCTED
    IN MERSIN AKKUYU. NUCLEAR ENERGY WILL PROMOTE ECONOMIC GROWTH AND POSITIVE LIFE.
    BIO PETROL IS OBTAINED FROM AGRICULTURAL GOODS. RIVERS ARE ELECTRIC SOURCES.
    ELECTRIC CARS ARE IMPORTANT. ARAB MUSLIM SOLDIERS ARE BIG INSECTS.
    WE WANT DRUG PILLS AND MONEY. TECHNOLOGY INCREASES SECURITY CONDITIONS AND WOMAN HEALTH. GREEN PLANTS SOIL WATER SUN CHARGES ENERGY. THANKS FOR READING. BYE BYE.

March 9, 2012 at 7:57 am | Reply
  8. Jamal Adams

That is a great resource however now that it is on CNN, the criminals will find other ways, thus defeiting the strategy altogether.

March 9, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Reply
    • HPN

I'm 63 years old,was married, don't wish to get married anytime soon,these ladies provide a great service for me in that I don't have to go to dating sites and pretend like I am interested in a longterm relationship, end up using some nice lady to meet my needs. Legalize it, it is a natural need,

March 12, 2012 at 7:53 am | Reply
      • Agreeathon

Yup

March 14, 2012 at 2:10 am |
      • Henzee

16a14035112you're in point of fact a good webmaster. The wtbisee loading speed is incredible. It kind of feels that you are doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterpiece. you have performed a great task on this subject! 18d

April 8, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • Agreeathon

What strategy? Garnering headlines? Busting women "in control of their own bodies"? I guess that concept only applies only for abortion.

March 14, 2012 at 2:14 am | Reply
  9. Ermias

Please look in the following video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Wb6UAXBhA3I) as reported by LBC showing the disturbing scenes of the Ethiopian domestic worker being beaten outside the Ethiopian consulate in Beirut. It was long known that many domestic workers in middle east are being beaten and abused behind closed doors. please look in to this and similar cases in the middle east and let the world know.

March 13, 2012 at 10:19 am | Reply
    • Emre

samuel c samuel Posted on I am a nrgaiien that has just completed my secondary school level and would like to study Computer Engineering/Electronics Engineering in Korea through scholarship.this is because korea is the largest producing electronics and my parents are poor and can not afford the morney to sponsor my academic carrer so,how can i accomplish my dream? kindly reply.

August 2, 2012 at 2:06 am | Reply
  10. Dissent

backpage.com....can't seem to find the escort section

March 13, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Reply
  11. Luis

All this sick cancerous people.Can't be the 1%.Hello?20%brain.80%brain dead.Now I know what Jesus meant.

March 15, 2012 at 2:54 am | Reply
  12. Robert

Prostitution should be legalized in the USA. It serves a purpose and seems to work in Europe and other countries. Why not regulate it as a business? Tax it? And get the prostitutes checked on a regular basis for STDs.

March 17, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Reply
  13. flowermissing

"FINISH YOUR ALBUM/MIXTAPE! LAST DAY TO GET ALL THE BEATS FOR $19.99 VOTED BEST BEAT PACKAGE ONLINE! RAP RnB POP INSTRUMENTAS @ 7DOLLABEATS(.)COM 7DOLLABEATS(dot)COM

March 29, 2012 at 9:30 am | Reply
  14. Howdy are using Wordpress for your blog platform? I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get started and create my own. Do you need any coding expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello there, I found your blog by way of Google whilst searching for a related topic, your web site got here up, it appears to be like great. I've bookmarked to my favourites|added to my bookmarks.

March 31, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Reply
    • Bridget

Regarding the alleged pintnirg of real kidneys this information is completely FALSE. This comes direct from the hospital in which the doctor works: Reports in the media that Dr. Anthony Atala printed a real kidney at the TED conference in Long Beach, Calif., are completely inaccurate. At the conference, Dr. Atala used a new type of technology to print a kidney-shaped mold and explained how one day – many years from now – the technology might be used to print actual organs. At the conference, Atala was reunited with a former patient who received a laboratory-engineered bladder 10 years ago. News reports are incorrectly saying that he received a printed kidney. Reports that bioprinting will eliminate the need for organ donation are also false. While this technology shows promise, it will be many years before it could be applied to patients.

October 11, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Reply