Ways to help: Making a difference
February 23rd, 2012

Ways to help: Making a difference

The most valuable weapon in the fight against human trafficking may be you.

CNN is celebrating the work of ordinary people inspired to do something, to take action; to stand up against slavery.

People from West Africa, South America, Eastern Europe and Southeast Asia, have all joined the fight.

Watch the "Taking a Stand, Making a Difference" show here in three parts. In the first segment, viewers horrified by our expose of working conditions for people cocoa farming in West Africa campaign for more Fair Trade products.

Natalie, in Romania, was moved to stop eating chocolate until Fair Trade cocoa is on sale in local shops. Gerry, in New Zealand, tried to make a regionally-inspired dish using only Fair Trade products.

Meanwhile, young Christians at a U.S. convention built a statue symbolizing the extent of slavery, raised $3 million for related charities - and got the attention of President Barack Obama.

From the quirky to online campaigns to school projects, their stories also offer practical ideas and information to others who want to get involved in helping the victims of modern-day slavery.

In part two, the idea that people are not for sale is spreading across Ukraine, and one South Korean school is now campaigning to abolish the modern-day scourge.

In part three, one woman beat her fashion bug to help women rescued from human trafficking.

Amy Seiffert wore the same dress for six months and donated the money she would have spent on clothes to a local organization building a shelter for rescued women in Ohio.

She says it was a small thing that reinforced the message that her ability to choose is privilege denied to many.

Along the way she inspired others, and the Daughter Project’s shelter is now a reality.

Post by: ,
Topics: How to Help

1. 4commonsensenow

Nice people. thumbs up

February 23, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Reply
  2. sheron

very heart warming job to do,how i wish i can be part of it...please keep it up and GOD BLESS

February 24, 2012 at 3:59 am | Reply
    • Andi

MyFreeProductSamples on October 14, 2011 @Thekissfamily2 That's funny. Yeah it's little rdnoam free stuff like that when you just have to say Welp, it was free!

March 4, 2012 at 10:40 am | Reply
      • farrukita

What i do not understood is aclualty how you are not aclualty much more well-liked than you may be right now. You are so intelligent. You realize thus significantly on the subject of this matter, made me for my part believe it from numerous varied angles. Its like women and men aren't interested except it is something to do with Woman gaga! Your own stuffs great. Always handle it up!

April 8, 2012 at 5:33 am |
  3. Obafemi Philip

Good work, i must commend CNN. i am an activist artist taking a stand against modern day slavery through my works of art. I am inviting the CNN-freedom project to be part of it in my studio and i will take CNN to my neighborhood where modern day slavery is existing. Lagos, Nigeria.

February 24, 2012 at 6:11 am | Reply
  4. Shang

Nice job。GOD BLESS

February 24, 2012 at 8:48 am | Reply
  5. Idiocy

Stop "informing" the world how to help our neighbors. Those that do are usually the ones causing genocide in the background unnoticed.

I'm telling you now – my humble family that gave did so out of compassion from the heart. They gave wisely, never depleting their funds, and expected those that were able to return what they borrowed must do so.

I believe that most people do this.

So, we do not require instruction from the media to force young people who read this article to forego chocolate, cigarettes, or anything unless they are minors under the care of their parents who have that authority only.

Stop dictating your ridiculous political agendas and swaying the minds of our young.

Let parents rule.

Let nations care for themselves.

Keep your nose at home and fix that before you go about the world telling anyone else what to do. Because if I go back there and find out you haven't done such a good job with that...I will not listen to anything you have to say.

I raised two fine sons that did well. I raised my family well.

I have a right to tell you to back off.
    Speak for yourself.

February 24, 2012 at 8:56 am | Reply
    • Cate

I.... I have to ask. Who are you talking to?

February 25, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Reply
  6. amine akh

question how to break "ego fossile' of few

to share in earth of 7 billions human being health wealth

by united spirit of humans for new concept new era of energy

"spirituality starts where religions end"
    let's start around the world daily meditation
    within own heart are inner silent solutions.
    wake up the world from illusion...

February 25, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Reply
  7. Mac

Let me see here, “viewers horrified by our expose of working conditions for people cocoa farming in West Africa campaign for more Fair Trade products”. They should be horrified at the way the Africans are doing their own people. But all I get out of this is how bad the chocolate companies are. It’s not the African governments, the coco farmers are their own parents that are doing this to them, it’s the western companies like Hershey that are doing it to them. Thanks for the uneven reporting on this. I think that CNN can do better than that. Stop blaming the chocolate companies and start pointing the finger at the real problem, the Africans themselves. Africa exported slavery thousands of years ago and are still engaged with it to this day. Africa has been profiting from slavery for thousands of years and they are not going to give it up easily. So CNN takes the easy road and attacks the chocolate companies and leaves the real bad guys alone. Thanks CNN for a great job of screwing it up again.

February 26, 2012 at 6:12 am | Reply
    • Charlene

Mac, I hear you. I worked in Ghana and came across young girls who were sold by their parents to pimps who then flew with them to SA to be sold again, for a much higher fee than what their parents were paid. In Madagascar its the same story. Basically what that told me was that its okay if slavery is practised on black people by black people its when another race trades in slaves that its so horribly wrong. If you are not willing to kill the rat, expect it to eat you.

March 2, 2012 at 7:58 am | Reply
      • Mac

Spot on, Amen,,,,,,,,

March 3, 2012 at 12:43 am |
  8. iwanttolearnenglish

i need many Einglish articles to pratice my reading ability.Please send some articles to my email:ckmderek@gmail.com.Don't be too difficult! Thanks a lot.

February 26, 2012 at 10:08 am | Reply
    • Yllka

It is always exencllet when you read a post that is not just instructive but also fun. I have to save WE are NOT FOR SALE, YOU are NOT FOR SALE | iCarry2 Blog inside my personal computer. I've been seeking more knowledge about this subject matter for weeks and this is the greatest May possibly strategically located. I enjoyed reading your blog post.

August 4, 2012 at 3:52 am | Reply
  9. Josh

I did not know about this until I saw it on this website. Thank goodness we have a good media to live up to the 4th estate to keep our companies accountable. I posted this on my blog and told everyone I know about it; I am also boycotting slave chocolate. spotlightchange.com

February 29, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Reply
  10. haveatissue

CNN I lost my job due to afro action when will you help the whiteman?

March 1, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Reply
    • Mac

CNN will do that when pigs learn to fly! I am sorry, our Leader (Obama) can't fly, he has to have someone else do it for him. So lets say CNN will do that after the cow jumps over the moon then!

March 3, 2012 at 8:40 am | Reply
      • Ulrich

A big webpage post, I just given this onto a woklfelrow who was doing a little analysis on that. and he in fact bought me dinner because I found it for him. . So let me reword that: Thank you for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for taking the time to talk about this, I feel strongly concerning it as well as love learning further on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your weblog with further details? It is highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this site!

August 2, 2012 at 2:02 am |
    • Jennifer

Hello, you used to write great, but the last few posts have been kinda boringc2a1K I miss your super wtriings. Past few posts are just a little bit out of track! come on!

April 8, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Reply
  11. BKMES

Your show has prompted me to make a donation to the Daughter Project,,,Thank you for opening my eyes.

March 2, 2012 at 8:52 am | Reply
  12. edem amable ahiale

shock indeed. I am gonna do my best to make my friends and i at University of Ghana help stop cocoa labour. God help us.

March 4, 2012 at 3:54 am | Reply
  13. Thandi

swearing off disposable efcofe cups. Somehow I havent quite got around to adding it to my list of official resolutions; let alone taking it serious enough to last more than a day without a cup. I am a wandering English

March 4, 2012 at 5:54 am | Reply
    • Maya

There are actually quite a lot of parlicutars comparable that to take into consideration. That may be a big point to carry up. I provide the ideas above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions simply comparable the single you bring up the place an significant factor will likely be working in honest superior faith. I don?t understand if greatest practices have emerged round concerns similar to that, however I’m sure that your job is clearly recognized as a fair game. Anyhow, in my language, there aren’t a lot superior supply resembling this.

August 1, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Reply
  14. Alex

KONY 2012

March 6, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Reply
  15. Samuele

take action: sponsorship and education.

March 14, 2012 at 9:54 am | Reply
  16. Alex

Slavery is the only salvation to todays economic troubles. Why would you want to fight it?

The only way to compete with China that pays their people about $1 an hour is to pay $0 an hour.

March 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Reply
  17. Pauline N. Fromer

I write to ask, once again, if Ms. Demi Moore, who was such a good AMbassadress for the CNN to return to do what she is really good at; forget the past, you have more important things to do in your life, Ms. Moore.
    Pauline N. Fromer

April 3, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Reply
  18. Casmir Anayo Biere

Bman Amiri Motors is general marchandise as taskforce agent in automobile lagos.I am here to welcome UN investors to enter Mbubu Amiri,Oru-East LGA Imo state Nigeria and develop road network,electric steedy power supply for their industries.comment-Casmir Biere

April 5, 2012 at 11:13 am | Reply
    • Ana

GiedreStankeviciute on April 5, 2010 How did you get it unfrozen? Please let me know! Mine is frzoen at 316 but i have over 3000 real views (I printed the insight report). Please, let me know!

July 3, 2012 at 4:22 am | Reply
  19. slave slayer!! for life!!!!

cool story bro

May 30, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Reply
  20. Mexican Products

Finally good news!
    I have been hooked on reading articles and books on this subject and this article i must admit gave a little bit of light to the end of the tunnel. One can fall into a depression like state of "what can i do?"
    However, its articles like these that help us see that every little thing helps. It is much worse being apathetic or simply using positive articles like these to promote ones political views on why the world is going to explode.
    I for one believe in hope, love and faith.

Keep up the great work!