Record breaking rowers
February 20th, 2012

Naked rowers spotlight slavery

Rowing across the Atlantic Ocean may be an extreme test of human endurance but an all female crew who completed the feat discovered a secret tactic to ease the physical burden - rowing nude.

"We spent a lot of time rowing naked because when the sea water gets inside your clothes it increases friction against your skin which can cause sores," says Debbie Beadle, Skipper of the Row for Freedom team.

The trip followed a route previously used to transport slaves between Europe and the Americas in the 19th century, raising money for UK-based anti-human trafficking charities the A21 Campaign and ECPAT UK.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Topics: How to Help • In The News

1. ringo

Depictions of galley slaves show them rowing naked. Maybe this wasn't just a dehumanizing situation.

February 20, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Reply
    • Modibeli

At issue here is the implementation and ietorprntatien of EU procurement rules. Which is the dullest subject in Christendom, (albeit one that is currently making my life difficult) but probably does explain why the tender was awarded to the Salvation army. If they undertake to operate in accordance with existing equality and diversity law which they no doubt have done then it comes down to cost and quality issues and depends how its weighted. The fact that someone make feel uncomfortable using their services (which is a point I agree with) is unlikely to factor in to this process unfortunately. There is a LOT of pressure on the public sector over procurement currently unless there was a specific, successful, legal challenge about religious organisations delivering these services, it's likely to keep happening, if they just claim to tick the right boxes.

March 4, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Reply
      • vegan

I totally agree, Mot. The issue about procurement and procurements on the sally who, are not available yet to the masses but will still be signed and dried for the latest issuers who are fond of making them so.

March 12, 2012 at 12:15 am |
      • michael attipoe

just wanna know who and what i can do to help

November 11, 2012 at 5:26 am |
  2. 327th

Come on CNN.....you should know the unspoken rule of the web-world.....pics or it never happened! I'm guessing it never happened.

February 21, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Reply
    • Paul

you need to see pictures, you are a pervert. can't get off if no pictures. what?

March 3, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Reply
      • vegan

You can't, Paul? LOL

March 12, 2012 at 12:15 am |
    • Sinta

I'm into spinning at the memnot. I found an old wheel at a Revolve shop (like a tip shop?) and found in almost working order nothing a rubber band couldn't fix, anyway.I had it for almost 6 months before I figured out how it worked, but now I've got it going, I'm completely addicted.I like it because I can zone out when it's working it's quite calming (when it's not working, and I can't work out why, it's one of the most frustrating things I've ever known), with the added bonus that there's artists out there addicted to dying fibre who I can support with my own addiction to spin it into yarn!

April 8, 2012 at 6:30 am | Reply
  3. Salsa Georges

I have seen pictures from the 1950 taken in Ivory Coast were outside of the cities the local folks were totally nude !
    I don't think that rowing in the nude was a form of humiliation for the slaves !

February 23, 2012 at 11:56 am | Reply
  4. Kingsley ozokoye

This 21st century slavery there people responsible in the patronage. CNN can provide there sponsor

February 25, 2012 at 5:12 am | Reply
  5. michael anderson

i was really touched with this display...theres a lesson in it for all of us........theres nothing too much that we cant sacrifice to make the world a better place to live in.

March 6, 2012 at 5:57 am | Reply
  6. Thor

Nothing like rowing across the glass smooth Arctic waters with a bunch of naked viking warriors!

March 12, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Reply
    • Aimanfawaz

I wanted to knit socks for years and tried a nbmuer of times with no success. About three years ago I was introduced to the magic loop technique and viola! I did it. I haven not made many socks but I love them. I have the same sock yarn addiction you have. I think I have yarn to make about 45 pair by now. I am currently working on the first pair for myself.I love making them for my kids.

April 9, 2012 at 3:28 am | Reply
  7. flowermissing

"FINISH YOUR ALBUM/MIXTAPE! LAST DAY TO GET ALL THE BEATS FOR $19.99 VOTED BEST BEAT PACKAGE ONLINE! RAP RnB POP INSTRUMENTAS @ 7DOLLABEATS(.)COM 7DOLLABEATS(dot)COM

March 29, 2012 at 9:44 am | Reply