June 13th, 2011

iReporters making a difference

You don't have to be a celebrity activist like Demi Moore or Ashton Kutcher to make a difference in the fight to end slavery. Meet three iReporters who are doing their part:

1. maymoona

Conditions of displaced people from the area of Gsr Al_Shoghoor
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTu7zhVpax8&w=640&h=390]

June 13, 2011 at 10:39 am | Reply
  2. maymoona

Osama- a child asks the minimum of Child Rights -the right to live
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBuNAGsbygQ&w=640&h=390]

June 13, 2011 at 10:41 am | Reply
  3. Josie Siler

I am a nature photographer. Through my business I desire to raise awareness in the area of human trafficking. I post articles on my Facebook page and give information on my website letting people know how they can help. A portion of every sale is donated to organizations that fight human trafficking and rescue people from that life. It's not much, I'm just one small person, but I am making a difference! For more information visit http://www.glorydisplayed.com.

June 13, 2011 at 11:18 am | Reply
  4. Leslie Edmonds

I just ran in to two gentlemen (one from London, one from Maryland) who are biking across the U.S. (single-speed!!!!) in order to raise fund and awareness for a project they are doing to stop slavery.
    You can see their adventure on Facebook as well: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212165278823360
    These guys are incredible, self-less people who want to help.
    Please check them out and support their worthy cause. All money raised goes directly to their project.

June 14, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Reply
  5. Aiyelabegan Lanre

I am takin stand against modan day slavery, if my uncle can this hostile to me i wonder what he does to his house help, if he can attept to sleep with his cousine i wonder what will stop him from sleeping with his maids whom he feed , shelter, and pay salary.
    with this i am taking a stand against mordan day slavery, they are human as much as we are , they are just unfortunate to be less previlaged

June 16, 2011 at 3:55 am | Reply
    • George

Hey Mike,I think it's great that you're challenging the iPad but if you are very cncneroed about the environment, you could just get an iPhone in lieu of the iPad and use a tablet PC to take notes.

October 12, 2012 at 4:15 am | Reply
  6. Aiyelabegan Lanre

I am takin a stand against modern day slavery, if my uncle can be this hostile to me i wonder what he does to his house help, if he can attept to sleep with his cousine i wonder what will stop him from sleeping with his maids whom he feed , shelter, and pay salary.

June 16, 2011 at 3:58 am | Reply
  7. Rodrigo

CNN should report on the efforts made by U.S. diplomats throughout the years to raise awareness of human trafficking and their work to get countries to take a stand against trafficking in persons.

June 17, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Reply
  8. Bijay

There is exploitation of poor by the riches. Riches and slefish corporates promotes child labour. Its easy to say no child labour, but due to ambitious profit making plan of corporate, they doesn't hesitate to take advantage of poverty and add money into the pocket of riches. Poor need money ...for their living, growing up their children and providing them better education and making them self sustainable. We need to take strong action against the corporates who get the service without providing adequate compensation and health care. Its also not only about child labor but the working condition itself is not hygienic. Poor just paid a penny at a cost of their health. I m from Nepal and I have witnessed it.

June 18, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Reply
  9. Tin

I run a small NGO to raise awareness about child labor in the northern Indian state of Himachal. We do stories about children and print them in book forms to distribute to the school children and booklets on labor laws for the general public. I have just posted a real story of a child who went through brutal hardship of slavery-like child labor.

June 19, 2011 at 4:16 am | Reply