Raising awareness through art
June 10th, 2011

Graffiti for a good cause

A section of Walton Avenue, between 149th and 150th in New York City's Bronx borough, has some new graffiti gracing one of its walls. This, however, is not the work of neighborhood miscreants, but a call to action to end human trafficking.

The mural, created by a group of students, is dedicated to Somaly Mam - an anti-trafficking activist - and is part of a project to raise awareness by the Somaly Mam Foundation.

Organizers of the project say that the mural allowed the kids to work together to raise awareness in their communities.

The students say the mural is their way of raising their voices against human trafficking and that they hope that when people see the mural they will add their own voices to fight against human trafficking.

Topics: Photo Spotlight • Solutions

1. Rayven mimie amarachukwu

Wow using graffiti 2 end slavery becos yrs 4rm now wen poeple pass it they'll know efforts 2 end slavery is on the way. Those in slavery would know the efforts and foundation 4 freedom has already been laid down.
    Thank u cnn.

June 12, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Reply
  2. Jasmin Rongcales . Taylor

obama barak should not cond to attact graffiti land! For libya done nothing wrong to the united states of america. It the nato also wrong doing for attact first to libya and the brithing's. They are to bleam of the killing to the people's because if they don't attact the libya this civilian's won't died. Gadffi is not to bleam for this war crime for he was not killing the peole he was just doing hes job as a good leader to keep hes country safe fron outside people's., same time he is saving hes people from harm of the outsider peopl's. Write by me Jasmin Custorio. Rongcales, taylor.

June 12, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Reply
    • Jade Rider

And the above comment are relevant to the article how?

June 13, 2011 at 9:01 am | Reply
      • Betty Banning

I've known Jasmin Rongcales Taylor because she is my neighbor here in Jacksonville, Florida. When I first read her comment, I did not say anything to her...but I had a good laughed because the graffiti has nothing to do with Libya and Khadaffi. Now that we are no longer friends, I think she don't know how to read or cannot understand what she is reading.

July 19, 2013 at 4:42 pm |
    • Paul

Gadhafi not a bad leader? Sweetie, do you know anything about the news?

June 14, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Reply
  3. Civilan from Tripoli

I just fled Tripoli befor 2 Days
    Gaddaffi is killing civilian in Libya with machine guns for craft 14.5mm Just they told him Leave us alone , We need freedom , believe it or not we are not able to tell our opinion , I lost my brother in law because he spoke to TV channel “Have you ever saw Libyan speaking against Gaddafii from Libya “
    We found some of protestors killed and damped in Trash container, 95% LIBYAN does not want this dictator who killed families and spend our money for terror everywhere , We know he was behind locourbi bombing & Germany explosion , Ireland bombing ,........
    We witness him sending illegal immigrants by sea to Europe in small boats and 90% will die in sea just to punish ITALY & EU and we saw bodies of these immigrants in our coast
    This dictator is not danger for Libyan but for all world and ARAB ,UN , EU Saved Millions of lives in Libya and with thousand of millions he have everywhere he can BUY a lot of voices every where as he close internet in Libya except for his Dogs just to kill voices
    God Save Libya

June 13, 2011 at 5:52 am | Reply
  4. Jasmin Rongcales . Taylor

I understand how he feel with the concernd of the interne ! For his country safty. And I also understand wanting his freedom in his country from outside. , I also understand why he wan't the people's out off his country that is not citizine, why he is punishing the peoples that don't bellong to his country. If every one's just do understand that gaddfi is ( Human just like all of au who has feeling's. And also fear for his own live! From this peopl's wan't to kill for doing his dutty to protect the safty of his country and people's. We all have to understand ! That it is his country and his rigth to protect it with his life, what ever may cause if the people's who has not rigth to his coutry force theim to take gaddafi out. And this address to all of united nation world's . And about the italy ! I don't blame gaddafi because the italy became parner with japanes and italy is not italz law annymore just like america it's control by the jap's already , one i my tell you whau i got that concend around the united nation. And it is verry hot secret's ! It will sham lot's of leader or agency, that ir the reason of this war since sep/11/2001. Thank you for the time with you! And god bless. Thi is write by me ! Jasmin Custorio.Rongcales, taylor.

June 13, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Reply
  5. Jasmin Rongcales . Taylor

Secretary of the state hillory clinton has no business ordering or urging othere country's like in africa to kick out diplomat's representing gaddafi governmen't . Hillory clinton work for america ! And not for africa. So there for she have no besiness telling people's what to do in africa , for the africa is not the one paying her pay ck. Hillory clinton need to work for america problem's like what the judges done to me with my exhusban dale lee.taylor her in jax, florida city hall to hospital ! For it is human cruelty. Write by jasmin c.rongcales,taylor.

June 13, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Reply
  6. Jasmin Rongcales.Taylor

just tell hillory clinton toget out in that country besiness . She do't know what she is doing with her job. She is a killer and nato is the one attacking libya ! The killing of civilian is cuase by hillory command and barak obama with nato. There something that i know and i got proof's. Libya is a federal constitutional monarchy on the mediterranean coast of africa, the united kingdom of libya has an area of 679,358 ! Square miles and a population of 1,216,000 (est. July/01/1961). The people are predominantly arab, of whom about one third are nomad's., there are about 35,000 Italian's, mostly in tripolitania. My grandfa in my father side is italian an indian ,not india. And he was in army general from federation and roman. That's why i know , libya government is independent since dec/24/1951. If hillory clinton don't leave libya alone more civilian will die for gadhfi has the right to defend his land or country. How american would feel if gadahfi come to america and killing civilian people's? I think it won't be right. That's the same concernd with libya . Hillory clinton just can't go to anny country and start killing people's. Thank' god bless america. Write by jasmin rongcales.taylor.

June 14, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Reply
  7. Jasmin Rongcales.Taylor

Hillory need toget out of libya and the nato so nomore civilian or military die and for they are the one attacking the people's. Why they don't kill the jap's and theire group's whene the jap's is taken over the hall nation? Jap's take over america, philippine's and other's country's. Why hillory clinton don't attact the japa's ? Maybe because is her group's and that's why she help the jap's take over america? Write by jaz.

June 14, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Reply
  8. Jasmin Rongcales.Taylor

Hillory clinton obama barak George w. Bush, Gloria Macapagal.Arroyo with jap's i playing every ond life. Other's people's life is nothing to this criminal living their's life of governmen't money., making poor people's work hard so they can havd a good live's and their family's and they don't feel shame about it. They should be ashame what their doing with the people's that don't know what i got that stolen by theim and try to kill my hall family for it. This franchise of government under my name from my father Santiago or yago Adto. Rongcales . This is not for theim they just invested it for my grandfas and mas land churches to their government ! Who been with thein since war- war-2. This all stack's my exhusband distributed to this country is not for the jap's who take over the washington,D.C. And philippine's. Write by Jasmin Custorio,Rongcales.Taylor – N.B.I.ID# T974j4LORIN0000.

June 14, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Reply
  9. Mothothi

America think the own the world,We know what happen to Iraq, they said Sadam hussein has nuclear weapon,inspectors never find anything – But they killed him.-How many they Killed in Afganistan,Iraq,now in Lybia.Because muslim woman don"t use prevention or Drink Liquar the have to die,because that is only business the American know.To give people Drugs and take their resources.We don"t want American soldiers in African soil,they are killers of the world.They are killing the people of the world in the name of democracy and steal their resources.

June 17, 2011 at 9:18 am | Reply
  10. get followers on twitter

I've been browsing on-line greater than three hours as of late, but I by no means found any attention-grabbing article like yours. It is lovely price enough for me. Personally, if all website owners and bloggers made just right content material as you did, the internet will likely be a lot more useful than ever before.

November 6, 2012 at 5:52 am | Reply