June 7th, 2011

How to help: Bonded labor around the world

Last week, on Connect the World, we explored different forms of bonded labor around the world.  Victims of bonded labor may be held captive, threatened by excessive violence, or forced to pay off an impossible debt.  They can be found working in mines and factories across the globe, hidden behind doors or even hidden in plain sight.

We’ve shown you the story of Sadat, an eight year old Afghani boy forced to make thousands of bricks a day to help repay his family’s debt.  The debt was incurred when his father needed to borrow money after he lost a limb in a landmine explosion, and later made even larger when his grandfather fell ill.  It will take years to pay off what they owe.

We then shared the stories of two young women, who wish to remain unidentified, as well as Yemane Tesfom.  They left Eritrea separately and headed to Israel in hopes of a better life.  The young women were beaten, starved and raped during their 40-day travel to Sinai.  Yemane Tesfom was also abused by those who smuggled him to Israel.  He was made a slave, forced to dig ditches, was tortured and permanently injured.  He only made it to Israel when his friends paid his $4,000 ransom.  Their stories aren’t unique.  “In 2010 alone, more than 14,000 African migrants made their way across Israel’s southern border with Egypt.”

Organizations working in Afghanistan include: UNICEF, UNIFEM, and Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission; and in Israel: Freedom Foundation and Isha L’Isha.

Viewers around the world have been touched by stories like these and have pledged to take a stand against slavery.  We encourage you to submit your own video to iReport.com.

1. samyr

Firefighters ask for help from rj

June 7, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Reply
  2. Casey Cochran

We have started an organization in central Ohio called The Movement to help raise funds and awareness for victims of human trafficking. It's mostly college age people and we raised four hundred dollars at a car wash in Marion. We'll be doing a yard sale in Marion in July and a benefit concert in bowling green on august 27 in Bowling Green. If any is interested in joining the movement and helping with the events contact us on facebook

June 8, 2011 at 7:09 am | Reply
  3. joelle esther benyayer

with freedoom and democracy but also more transparancy for all people simple i work in newspapers i call tell in france we got trouble also with fascisme i be confronted after the robbery of my press documents be take by mafia for the police harcelmemnt start by criminals try to crash me one day on the front of sacem and robbery of my artististic and intelectual work and denie of identity and than my face dammage teeth normal an artist can talk and give this opion so how to help freedoom with journalists to give they temoignages if not impossible i know what i talk about when omerta like italy in south of france work with also a population all in corruption drugs trafic and mafia immpossible without any help to survive today i loose twenty kilos face dammage imposixible to express myself sing play because my guitar stolen and impossible to receive call how to help freedoo to catch attention of medias when your life is in danger and no one come to you is a work of all of us joelle esther benyayer i may be die soon not free like i was because i denonce corruption also inside the police joelle esther benyayer

June 8, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Reply
  4. Vanitha

Children bring to mind – play, school and laughter. We see in them the future. But many in India and across the world are denied the chance to be children.

June 12th – World Against Child Labour Day.

Speak Up. Click here http://www.moodler.in/stopchildlabor

June 9, 2011 at 12:56 am | Reply
  5. Diane Conroy

If you truely believe that bonded slavery is wrong.....you should not be using ideas from here. (Paper airplane) Please.

.......I am the woman nicknamed "America" of striped ties, wearing hats,
    saying "FREE", of American flags, not wearing ties, of poems and comments,
    unvoluntarily on YOUTube since 2005, when I sent in by phone and e-mail,
    comments to the SeattlePI about George Bush, Congress, Solidiers and Karl Rove.
    It is now 2011 and I am wondering if ...........anyone.............will admit this is happening.
    Please let's do this. I have a petition on Change.org under "Women's Rights"

Diane Conroy

June 9, 2011 at 4:21 am | Reply
  6. Alex Wyshyvanuk

How about you guys take a look at the Indian KBR contractors out in Iraq? One of those men I spoke with during my tour there had paid, out of pocket, $4000 for a plane ticket to get to Iraq, which was not reimbirsed by KBR/Halliburton. They then proceded to pay him $250 per month. His entire first YEAR was spent paying off his ticket to get there.

June 9, 2011 at 8:34 am | Reply
  7. Alaba Onajin

I am a graphic novel artist from Africa and just completed a comic about child soldiers in Africa. Please read and share the first chapter online.
    The Elephants and
    the Grass: Blood
    Harvest,
    A survival/adventure graphic novel
    about child soldiers in Africa
    out now
    ...http://
    bloodharvest.smackjeeves.com/

June 9, 2011 at 10:12 am | Reply
    • evah

I don't think there is anything funny about child soldiers being brainwashed to hate and kill people!

June 11, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Reply
      • Alaba Onajin

Seeing the word 'comic' you assume this is a funny story?

June 13, 2011 at 2:51 am |
      • Alaba Onajin

A lot of people who dont know
        about these things Or who don ’t
        care need to know. The graphic
        novel medium is just to create
        awareness about this sad
        occurence and get people more
        serious about fighting it.

June 13, 2011 at 2:57 am |
  8. Nathaniel Moyer

I did not read the entire post, but this brings to mind the issue of "sweat shops", like those associated with Nike and other apparel companies. Have you ever wondered how sports athletes view this? One would think that african-american athletes would be the first to renounce Nike and the others. I am curious about what current NBA Finals athletes think. Even former players like Michael Jordan, Charles Barkeley, and Hakeem Olajuwon. Of course, athletes of many races participate.

June 9, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Reply
  9. ooops

I was expecting an article on student loan debt.

June 12, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Reply
  10. Alaba Onajin

A lot of people who dont know about these things Or who don't care need to know. The graphic novel medium is just to create awareness about this sad occurence and get people more serious about fighting it.

June 13, 2011 at 2:55 am | Reply
    • Juliet

a lot of people dont know about human trafficking. i once got in an argument with a teacher who refused to admit slavery exists today

July 25, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Reply
  11. Lisa Njeri

I am victim of labour slavery in an american multi-national company which is in Nairobi,Kenya. The company treats us like trash and cares only on the number of vehicles we do assemble. Employees cant afford basic human needs like descent housing,food and education for their children. Anybody out there please help us.

June 15, 2011 at 11:36 am | Reply
  12. Ram

I saw Nepal's stolen children 2 times already. Anurada koirala deserves a Nobel prize twice over. What a great lady.& a great & Noble cause. She can use the Nobel money for the betterment of those young ladies, girls, women to build a training center with Maiti to develop the skills needed to support them. I would like to go to Kathmandu to build some industry & employ those women of Nepal. I will be happy to start contributing some charity to then starting immediately. Anuradha ,Demo Moore & Maiti can contact me at my e mail address.

June 28, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Reply
  13. Don

I have the ability to host a family here in the United States. Would it be reasonable to be able to have a family stay here and be treated well after being on bonded labor?

June 29, 2011 at 11:17 am | Reply
  14. ahmed azab

I think that the only solution for this problem is follwing the islamic religion rules which solve this problem since 1400 year

July 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Reply
  15. Marcus Hippensteel

My brother suggested I may like this website. He was once entirely right. This put up actually made my day. You cann't imagine simply how so much time I had spent for this info! Thank you!|

January 4, 2015 at 11:50 am | Reply