April 11th, 2011

Tracking slavery around the world

All week, CNN examines the technology that is helping to track and tackle slavery around the world.

Which countries produce the most slaves and where are these slaves employed? And which international borders fail the test when it comes to human trafficking? CNN's News Stream mapped it all out – and illustrated the extremes. As the video above shows, the developing world does not have a monopoly on this degrading trade.

Topics: Technology • The Traffickers

1. KenX

The definition of trafficking under federal law does NOT require the elements of force, restraint, or coercion. The simple transfer of a willing and informed person for prostitution meets the definition. This is no accident. It allows them to take willful participants and fluff up the numbers to make everyone think this is such a widespread problem.

But still, the arrests and convictions simply do not support the estimates. Not even close. At last check, the Washington Post reported the State depts own numbers that arrest and conviction data indicate that they are finding less than 1% of what they estimated 10 years ago. The solution to this problem has been to quadrouple the estimates.....without any basis.

April 13, 2011 at 10:13 am | Reply
    • Niekhee

I have been a Democrat all my life just as all my family has for gtnareeions. I religiously watched CNN, MSNBC, C-Span, and would scoff at Fox. Then 2008 arrived, and even before that I knew but being a partisan dem. didn't want to admit it, came and the lopsideness of reporting supporting the Sen. Obama was just unreal, and the way they, the aforementioned networks, were in the tank for him. I began to watch some of Fox's coverage and found it to be much more balanced than what was coming from the so called main stream media. I was Clinton supporter from 92, as well as a great deal of liberal moderates. From then on I have called out my party leadership especially at the national level on how left wing extremists they had become. I was at the swearing in of Pelosi for godsakes in 07, but 08 changed all that, she began to show her true colors. Needless to say I am a constant viewer of Fox news, they by far are as balanced in reporting than the other networks, and while I agree that the prime time line up is skewed to the right, especially Hannity, I can't watch him, the other news programs, Shep Smith for one is first rate. So, you all liberal elitist don't bash something until you have an objective view on what is really going on in the media.

April 8, 2012 at 7:18 am | Reply
  2. Help them

Please Help
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLoTMNTRbQ8&w=640&h=390]
    Thanks

April 13, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Reply
  3. penisenvy

lol at female newsies that speak in the lowest tones possible so as to sound less like a female and more like a man.

May 14, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Reply
  4. Laura

Can you tell me which UNODC report you used for this report? Thanks!

November 20, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Reply
  5. Nike Air Force 1

Your own write-up is a good inspiration if you ask me, I adore that which you get stated, extremely perfect, getting excited about the next 1 functions. Nike Air Force 1 http://airforceoneaustralia.moonfruit.com

August 7, 2013 at 12:48 am | Reply
  6. Tobias Bohac

luckylovers romance

September 29, 2016 at 9:38 am | Reply
  7. music maker app free

If you might be continue to upon the fence: seize your preferred earphones, thoughts down in direction of a Best Order and check with in the direction of plug them into a Zune then an iPod and watch which a person seems better to oneself, and which interface makes you smile even more. Then you will comprehend which is instantly for you.

October 3, 2016 at 3:38 pm | Reply
  8. Google

Does anyone know how you get those customised backgrounds on wordpress. All i can seem to get is the ones they provide. Can someone help me pleaseeeeeeeeeee?.

December 1, 2016 at 7:07 pm | Reply